Buzz Feiten Tuning system??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz Feiten Tuning system??

I have some questions about the Buzz Feiten tuning system. Does anyone here have it? or used it? What do you think of it compared to conventional tuning? whats your opinion?

can anyone recommend it or not?

and do they have Buzz Feiten retro fit lock nuts for floyd roses? I looked on their website, but it was a bit unclear on this in reference to floyds and floyd locking nuts.

Is it reversible?
    Is it a pain in the ass to tune compared to normal tuning?

What does it cost to have done?
    can you do it yourself?

Anything else you wish to add is great!! Thanks!
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: Buzz Feiten Tuning system??

all i have heard is good things about it.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tonemonster:
      I have some questions about the Buzz Feiten tuning system. Does anyone here have it? or used it? What do you think of it compared to conventional tuning? whats your opinion?

can anyone recommend it or not?

and do they have Buzz Feiten retro fit lock nuts for floyd roses? I looked on their website, but it was a bit unclear on this in reference to floyds and floyd locking nuts.

Is it reversible?
      Is it a pain in the ass to tune compared to normal tuning?

What does it cost to have done?
      can you do it yourself?

Anything else you wish to add is great!! Thanks!
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I want to know that, too!

I emailed their tech office, and what I have received back was telling me that I have to take my guitar to the retrofitter and let him do the job.
      I am not saying that they're ignorant, but the guy could give me the answer, if I have to drill new holes for Feiten nut. Don't you think so?

What comes with the Feiten's Floyd Rose pack? Only nut or saddles too? What about the holes? Would they fit? I have JT-580 at the moment.

What about guitars without FR?

Sorry, Tonemoster, to slam your thread with dumb question, but I am interested for Feiten too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

No problem Immortal. Its cool. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I emailed Their tech guy also, and he told me they dont use a different nut on a Floyd Rose retrofit. They actually remove a bit of the fretboard to bring the nut closer to the first fret. I am not to wild about that idea. I am just curious as to what any people in the real world think of the Feiten system.

Comment

That is correct.
          I happen to be one of the BFTS Authorized retrofitters.

The Locking nut mod is VERY intrusive and irreversible.
          Of course the 10,000 to 70,000 of inch that would get removed can ultimately be shimmed back but it will always be noticeable.

I get allot of inquiries for Ibanez retrofits and always tell them the same thing. Expensive.. more so because the Edge trem systems locking nut is rear mounted thereby causing much more work to retrofit.
          Avg cost on that style is around 350-450 depending.
          On a reg OFR locking nut, most are top mounted and the mod can be done for much less 250 area.

The conventional nuts are the most economic and non intrusive retrofit.
          The cost 139.00.
          I have done a few retrofits and I think its a great system.
          I would personally recommend that it not be done on a locking nut guitar if that's your only guitar.

Here are some of the binding factors to have the BFTS retrofit:
          Once the guitar is modded, you MUST use the same brand and gauge of strings or the intonation will be off.
          Therefore, if you want to get the mod, I suggest that you dedicate the instrument for certain songs or sets you play.. Otherwise you will be fighting an in key battle.

Dropped tuning will not work on a BFTS modded instrument either.. the rang of tuning, I think is 1/2 step down...

So as you can see, getting the BFTS really requires the instrument to be dedicated to that set up.

So if you have several guitars its no biggie.. but if you only got 1 and pay a variety of tunings etc, I don't think its the best idea...

Hope this has helped!!

Comment

WOW!! THANKS!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] vwall, you helped more than you know!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] THat was an excellent post and I thank you very much for it.

I dont think that sort of thing is my bag, baby. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I dont want to do anything that intrusive to my guitars, I tell you this, you sure paint a "real world" picture of this compared to the Buzz Feiten website. this stuff was almost like reading fine print on an insurance policy. Very admirable of you to be upfront and honest about it:notworthy:

Thanks man!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Tone

Comment

Sure thing, Tonemonster!
              Happy I could be of help!!

Scott

Comment

Not to revive a dead thread, but I have two Feitenized guitars (Strat and LP) and love it. I don't agree that the system requires a dedicated guitar that only uses a single brand / gauge of strings. The error introduced by changing these things is no different than what you would find with a standard tuning system. Theoretically any change will affect intonation, it's no worse with a Feiten system.

The one issue I have is that, since it's a patented idea that many could "borrow" (like downloading a song) without Buzz getting his royalty, Feiten and the installers that I know are very secretive about it like it's a black art or something mysterious. It's a simple, straightforward system. If you are interested in more depth, all the info. is containted in Buzz Feiten Patent If you spend 15 minutes reading the patent it becomes clear that it's a very straightforward system.

The system varies slightly for an electric guitar, steel string acoustic, and nylon string acoustic due to the varying string tension. On an electric guitar the nut is moved forward 2.1% of the original distance from the nut to 1st fret. It ends up being .030" for the typical Charvel, Jackson, Fender and would vary slightly on a LP scale guitar or PRS.

To oversimplify things, you need to

1. Move the nut .030" forward
                2. Tune your open strings per the chart below (some slightly flat)
                3. Intonate at the 12th fret per the chart below (some slightly sharp)

Note Open (cents) 12th fret
                D -02............+01
                A -02..............00
                E -02..............00

Just like a regular guitar, your intonation will be thrown off with changes in string gauge. According to Buzz, the system is the same for all common electric guitar string types and gauges. The only distinction he makes is that it would change if you used heavy strings like .011's with a wound G string. When changing string brands or gauges you can either leave it alone like most people usually do (close enough for rock &amp; roll) or re-intonate using the chart. You do need to have an accurate tuner, the standard needle type won't cut it. I use a Peterson Strobe and have the Feiten stretch file programmed.

If you try a Feitenized guitar most people love it. It is a PITA if you have a locking nut as was discussed. The best bet is to try it on a non-locking nut guitar to see if you like it. I personally wouldn't do it on a Floyd w/ the rear mounted nut but would try it on a top mount. At some point it would be nice if Floyd Rose or an aftermarket company would offer a Floyd nut with the .030" compensation built in. This would at least simplify the rear-mount problem if you could leave the screws alone.

Comment

I've always thought that the system as a whole in theory should work great, but once you press the string to fret the intonation may not be accurate because it is all dependant on how hard you press the string. Sure if you have a light touch it works great, but if you're like me and many other guitarist I know your touch varies when you play on stage versus the studio. So the problem on a non-Feiten guitar, intonation, is the same problem you have on a Feiten system which is how hard you press determines how far off your intonation will be. And some people just press hard which basically throws the Feiten system right out the window in my opinion.

Comment

Resurrecting an old thread.....

Earvana now has retrofit nuts for Floyds, universal for top or bottom mount screws. I have Earvanas on ALL my (non-Floyd) guitars, and having worked with both them and Feiten, I don't believe there is a single advantage to the Feiten:
                    - non-reversible guitar surgery
                    - less-noticeable intonation correction (or NONE)
                    - super-expensive retrofit

While I may seem biased because I sell and install the Earvana, I did it specifically because I believe in them!!
                    http://geminiguitars.com/index.html

Comment

My 85 ESP strathead came with an Earvana nut and I love it.
                      I had the BF system on a few Nunos and its really nice the down side most guitars are off a little so the other guys in your band will be pissed you're in tune and they will be a little off to your guitar.
                      IMO I would go with an Earvana nut.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X