1 vol vs. 1 vol and tone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 vol vs. 1 vol and tone.

i would like to hear some experts discuss this scenario. (500k vol and tone pots)

i understand that the impedance changes. but also most of the time there is a capacitor on the tone pot changing things even more.

i have noticed a huge difference in sound when connected to just the volume pot vs. a vol and tone. so how do they wire a guitar like the Warren DeMartini with just 1 hum?

also about the cap. located on most tone pots... .022 and .047 are the common ones i've read. but how would i know which one is the right one for me?

and... is there a way to achieve the sound of a vol and tone with cap, without the tone knob? (flopping around in the control cavity of a 1 hum guitar.)

and... how does it compare to 1 hum wired directly to a 250k vol pot.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
    also about the cap. located on most tone pots... .022 and .047 are the common ones i've read. but how would i know which one is the right one for me?
    .047 is mainly for bass, but you can use it on your guitar if you like a darker tone.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My guitar has just a volume knob, and it is definitely a bit harsher sounding than my previous guitar that had a volume + tone.

I would think that just wiring the capacitor into the circuit would result in the same sound as having a tone knob turned all of the way up, but I'm no electronics junky, so I could be completely wrong.
      Scott

Comment

In My LP's, I Disconnect the tone knob on the bridge Pickup. It gives me that little more cut on the High end tha was lacking before....
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

You can emulate the sound of a tone pot + cap by putting a 500K resistor in series with a cap of the same value in place of the pot + cap. This should give approximately the same response as a 500k tone pot on 10.
          "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
            You can emulate the sound of a tone pot + cap by putting a 500K resistor in series with a cap of the same value in place of the pot + cap. This should give approximately the same response as a 500k tone pot on 10.
            +1

Comment

Just get an RS guitarworks upgrade kit and be done with wonder this and that senario.The more things you wire in the signal path will alter the final tone some what.1 (500k) vol is wide open and tends to be harsher than if used in conjunction with a tone pot and cap.If you have a brittle humbucker try a 300k-250k vol pot and it mellows out the harsh pickup.
              I always use 500 k vol and tone pots on a humbucker equipped guitars and ones with hum single single config.
              As far as wiring a 1 hum to vol and tone go to guitarelectronics.com and you may find what you need to know.
              Toddstaples you should look into an rs kit as well get the historic LP upgrade kit and wire it just as the diagram says and your L.P.will kick ass.
              Last edited by straycat; 09-12-2007, 06:50 PM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Do you even use the tone pot? If it's alway on 10 than you don't need it so go with just a volume.

Comment

Like he said, because it sounds different and apparently he prefers that sound. Like others have said here, even with the tone pot dimed, it affects the impedence and changes the sound of the guitar compared to vol. pot only.

Comment

Well on a L.P.most dime all controls because the are almost useless.Use good electronics and all controls do what they are supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      Well on a L.P.most dime all controls because the are almost useless.
                      Slash knows how to use the LP knobs!

Comment

I said most not all, Les Paul uses them.The majority just dime them out.Gibson electronics aren't the best and really hinder the tone of a nice guitar.

Comment

That's why I use EMGs in my LP. Their tone controls work well and are very responsive.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples View Post
                            In My LP's, I Disconnect the tone knob on the bridge Pickup. It gives me that little more cut on the High end tha was lacking before....
                            And I thought John Sykes was the first to do that !
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              I said most not all, Les Paul uses them.The majority just dime them out.Gibson electronics aren't the best and really hinder the tone of a nice guitar.
                              If you don't say it, I will. RS Guitarworks Pots and the new caps. Great stuff! More gradual tone control. (That is, if you use the tone knobs at all)
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X