Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings

Man, I just changed my strings yesterday and they sound broken-in already! I want some strings that stay brighter and new sounding for longer-right now I use D'Addario 9-46 gauge. I think I need to use heavier strings for starters, because I play with a heavier hand these days moreso than before, but what have you guys had the best experiences with as far as strings that sound new for the longest time?

Re: Strings

I use Dunlop Ultraglide 65 after each usage, and my tones are always bright like the day you install new strings.

And they feel smooth as hell too, and it gives you long lasting shine.

I glide it also on frets when cleaning strings and then polish them a bit.
    But be sure you get rid of it on the fretboard. I forgot to wipe away the U65 on my ex Ibanez and the rosewood became some white furrows in it, but not for long.

Comment

i personally prefer DR "tight fit" 10-46. i think these are the best sounding and playing "round wound" (or round core wire) stings.

strings technically lose there tone after one week of being stretched to pitch.

the only way to make it last longer is with those speacialty coated strings, ie Exilar - and the others that have joined that market.

if i can't get DR's i get Boomers (cause of the round core wire) i just prefer the round core wire for feel more so than tone. - and like pickups, i'm used to and know what to expect from round core, nickelplated steel strings.

for hex core strings, i'm sure the DR's "high beams" are great but i'd have to say that Dean Markley's are the best sounding, and stay bright for a little longer than most. ernie ball also has decent hex and roundcore strings.

i prefer a nickelplated steel, but you might like 100% steel, or 100% nickel, or a special alloy in between the two . expiriment with different types and brands of strings. there are many out there. many alloys have been used for different sounds and feel. you might want to try full on steel for more brightness, (but they won't last as long). nickel lasts longer but isn't as bright. its more mellow sounding.

top brands IMO
      DR and Dean Markley - there are many string co's out there. try as many as you can, and remember what you liked or disliked about them.

i absolutly hate D'addario! they just seem like the alloy they use is cheap. they seem to break and/or rust way too quick. and i just don't like the feel of them. maybe its cause i prefer roundcore or roundwounds under my fingers.

but anyway try everything you can.
      and keep in mind feel vs. tone.

honestly Deam Markley's probably sound the best IMO. very full toned bright and punchy, with a good amount of low end.

~JW
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I used to use martin acoustic strings on my washburn, and they would get dull sounding after a few weeks. I happened to earn a free set of strings from CC, and decided to try the ELixir ones-they sound great and stay bright (has been a month or so). I have never used the electric ones, but I would expect similar results. The feel of them is a little strange-they feel like plastic, but they have kept that slick feeling of being new so far. Can't hurt to try them!

Comment

You use acoustic strings on your electric guitar?

Comment

I never had any problems with Ernie Balls and felt they lasted the most, those were super slinky....Ernie balls are hard to find here in venezuela so i went with d'addario, and they ar ok, recently i got a set of ernie ball 10-52, man, after a week they were all rusted. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] i dunno what happened...

Comment

I used to use Ernie Ball but now I've switched over to http://www.webstrings.com/ because they are just as great, cheap and the strings get delivered to my door.

Eddie, you might want to check these guys out. High quality strings and they'll mail them to you down there.
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal:
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Washburn DOES make acoustic guitars. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Man, I'm seriously wondering what's wrong with all your D'Addario packs! I've been using them ever since I started playing electric guitar and I am faithful to them. I've rarely broken a string, and I don't think I've broken a string in the past year or so, and I've REALLY become heavy-handed during this past while.

Of course, I just do the same ritual every time I play the guitars... I wash my hands before, I don't touch other potentially greasy parts of my body (hair, skin, basically just EVERYWHERE [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) while I'm playing, and I give the strings and guitar body a good wipe with a soft clean cloth after playing. Then, I put the guitars in their cases when not playing. The strings still feel slick and sound bright week after week. I STILL have five or more packs of D'Addario strings that I bought over two years ago that I STILL haven't opened yet!

And wasn't there a previous discussion about how there are really only four string manufacturers that basically shotgun their products out to the "brand names" we know and love, ie- Dean Markley, D'Addario, Ernie Ball, etc.? Hence, a LOT of strings are potentially the same. For example, Toejam claims that Carvin's strings are just GHS Boomers in Carvin packaging and sold for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                  And wasn't there a previous discussion about how there are really only four string manufacturers that basically shotgun their products out to the "brand names" we know and love, ie- Dean Markley, D'Addario, Ernie Ball, etc.? Hence, a LOT of strings are potentially the same. For example, Toejam claims that Carvin's strings are just GHS Boomers in Carvin packaging and sold for cheap.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, Carvin strings are indeed GHS Boomers. This was confirmed by a couple of the moderators at the Carvin forum (the board is run by Carvin employees). I've been a big Boomers user for years and tried the Carvin and thought they felt like Boomers even before I found out that they were the same. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  For my D-tuned guitars, though, I use Ernie Ball Power Slinky (purple package) 11-48, and I really like those, too.
                  I just found this link yesterday on the Les Paul forum and thought these Snake Oil strings are pretty interesting. Pay particular attention to PinkStrat's comments. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...threadid=35949
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Immortal:
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Washburn DOES make acoustic guitars. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Knock, knock ... I know that, alright! I own one myself.
                    It just sounded like he's using acoustic strings on his electric guitar, which wouldn't be that good.

Comment

My singer in Article 13, Mark of stripped Gunslinger fame, can kill a set of strings in ten minutes. He washes before he plays too, but there is just something about the acids in his skin...it's amazing. I never used to like him to play my guitars, cause I'd have to de-gunk it before I could play it again! I'm serious! There's not a set of strrings out there that can stand up to him!
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">my lead guitarist Chris has the same problem. there will be shit growing on the underside of the strings when he's done. and he'll rust a floyd in a heartbeat. i've never seen such acidy skin oils before!
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'm in the same boat as Chuck. Same D'Addario EXL125 (9-46) set. Got my Shannon Soloist back in February and STILL have the same set of EXL125s that I first put on her when I got her!

I've also been thinking of buying strings in bulk from www.webstrings.com or www.juststrings.com but I can't justify that. Again, I still have packs of D'Addarios from over two years ago that are still fresh! They'd probably corrode before I even got to use them and corrode them with my own damn hands. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The monetary savings wouldn't be a factor for me since I change my strings on average perhaps only three or four times a year.

Plus, with D'Addarios, you get those nifty Player's Points. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Whaaaa whaaaa whaaaaaaaaa! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Although, I'm going to go with Ernie Ball for a set of 11-54 since D'Addario doesn't make a set like that. Gonna put that guitar into C tuning.

Comment

yes, my washburn is an acoustic. I was just offering my experience witht he Elixir brand. I have also used D'addario's for years, and have never had a problem. GHS strings always sounded like they were two months old when they were two days old. THe Ernie ball SLinky's were a bit too bright for my tastes. Nowadays I use D'addario 10's on my electrics, and occasionally the ACE Frehley sets from Gibson (9-46), but they seem to be getting harder to come by around here. I used to use DR's strings, but I didn't feel that they were that much different than the D'addario's, and were like a buck more per pack (I'm cheap). I recently got a few sets from webstrings, and they are very good strings, and very reasonably priced-shipping is free on orders over 12 bucks or something. Sonmetime inthe near future I will try the ELixir electric strings.

Comment

D'Addario DR and Blue Steels. Whatever is on sale or grabs my mood. I also use the Zakk set on my LP the one with the 70 for the low E. When I was gigging my mains got new strings every show and my back ups every 3. Now whenever I get off my lazy ass to change em.
                            www.kiddhavok.com
                            www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenScratch:
                              I used to use Ernie Ball but now I've switched over to http://www.webstrings.com/ because they are just as great, cheap and the strings get delivered to my door.

Eddie, you might want to check these guys out. High quality strings and they'll mail them to you down there.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">fuck I just ordered 12 packs of ernie balls and spent 45 $!!!! goddamn if i had known of these stirngs i would have bought 24 packs for how much? 20 bucks??? well next time it is , thanks for the heads up man! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X