No announcement yet.

How is the Duncan Distortion for neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is the Duncan Distortion for neck?

For the first time ever I´m out shopping for a neck humbucker, having played H/S/S and H/S ever since I cared enough about tone to switch out pickups. Anyhoo, I came across a matched set of two Distortions over at thomann.de, at a really tempting price. I think the Distortion is pretty cool for bridge, and I think it would work good, but I´ve never tried the neck version... does anyone have any comments about it?

... or I might emphasise the Les Paul-ness of the 750XL with a set of ´59s... choices, choices!

I have a Distortion Mayhem set in my 750XL. It works extremely well with a super 5 way switch. I get neck; neck single coil, neck single coil + bridge single coil humbucking, bridge single coil, and bridge.

I also hooked up a push/pull in the tone to reverse phase the middle position. It work really well for cleans.

Regarding Les Paul-ness, my 750XL easily hangs with my 4 LP's. It's a string thru, no whammy bar. Truely one of the best designed J/C guitars out there. The best thing about it though is "flexibility". One axe that can get a lot of different tones.

Comment

I have an old set. The seymorizer is the neck version of the DD and the duncan distortion bridge.These are very nicely voiced pickups and quite flexible tone wise.In the neck they are real mellow in the bridge they sound very 59 ish on a clean channel.Onthe dirt they sing, very gritty.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. It sounds like two Distortions will work fine, and it´s cool that they apparently split so well too.

Comment

It's been awhile since I had a Distortion in the neck, so I'll try to go over what I can remember. But I was surprised how good it sounded clean as well as dirty. Nice mids and just a touch of warmth.
          I had it paired with both a Duncan Custom and the JB, and it worked well with both of them.

Comment

How is the Duncan Distortion for neck?

The DD bridge and DD neck make a great matched set of pickups for metal and hard rock.

The Distortion always delivers in the bridge, but it's not so hot that it's mud or won't clean up. I don't think I need to say too much about this one- it's a classic and a mainstay for me.

Although the neck version might be hot for many players, I think it sounds killer. Lots of output and the good overdrive qualities of the bridge version, but it's truly voiced like a neck pickup and has that "vibe" while retaining the qualities inherent in a distortion-type pickup.
            GM,
            www.aftershok.com

Comment

Thanks, Octane! I don´t mind that it´s hot in the neck position, since I´ll be using it mainly for full-tilt overdriven leads. I´ve got enough singlecoils elsewhere to handle everything bluesy or clean, and I´m not a jazz man either... hard rock is where it´s at. So if it rips in the neck as well, it´s all good by me.

Comment

Dave,
                Based on your further explanation, I think you can't go wrong with the DD set!
                GM,
                www.aftershok.com

Comment

Working...
                X