Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two questions about paint

first:
    a friend of mine has a LesP studio from mid 80's, its "supposed" to be white, but more like yellow now. Will wetsanding the paint take some of the yellow out? We've tried to clean it/ wax it/ polish it with various (nonabrasive) things, but nothing works.

second:
    I'm considering refinishing a guitar I've recently acquired (from PeteTwisteramps). I've been to reranch and read up on it. I feel pretty confident about it, but where do you get colors for the paint.
    I see that StewMac has some pigments for mixing, are these good? Are they priced right?
    I was wanting to go with a solid bright glossy tangerine orange with black pinstripes.
    Are there other places to get pigments for mixing besides StewMac?

thanks,

NoahNandrew [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: two questions about paint

here's a direct link to the pigments I found at StewM.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin..._Pigments.html

The "example" picture shows them mixing yelllow pink and white to get the orange color of that guitar. Would that be what I would neeed to a brighter "tangerine" color.?

thanks,
    noahNand

Comment

regarding your friend's guitar - yeah, if you buff/wetsand it down, it should get 'whiter'. I'd try some compound inside a control cavity to be sure.

As far as refinishing a guitar goes... try www.reranch.com - they have the stuff to do it at home and get a good quality result, plus they have TONS of information. It's a great place to check out before you start strippin a guitar [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Most people use automotive paint to do guitars.

Comment

THe yellowing of white paint is part of the aging process-it is normal, and desirable in many cases. Unless your friend is dead set on keeping the guitar bright white, I wouldn't mess with it too much. Even if you do get it "whiter", it will age to yellow again in a few years, and you will have to repeat the process. Every time you do it, you will be removing some of the guitar's original finish. I don't know that the studios will gain much value through the years, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by nandrewjackson:
            a friend of mine has a LesP studio from mid 80's, its "supposed" to be white, but more like yellow now.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had a 1985 white Kramer and i have a 1986 white Fernandes from new and both ended up very yellow'ish after 10 or so years. The Fernandes has bindings which also has turned quite yellow. The yellow coloration is not even/homogenous, it looks more like nicotine stains and doesn't look good in my opinion. It looks kinda dirty in certain areas.

What i found out when i was stripping the Fernandes from paint is that the yellow stains is embedded in the clear coat. I think the clear coat change color from transparent to yellow primarily due to UV radiation. Just a few light scrapes with a knife on the bindings revealed a very white binding - and i only hit the clear coat. No plastic was scraped off. Same with the body paint. So, it is my experience that the clear coat deteriorates and turn yellow during the years. Some like the color change, some don't.

/Henrik
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not sure if he wants to mess with it bad enough to change it back to white.

I went looking for paint colors today, at automotive paint shops. I found quite a few that I like.

nand

Comment

Working...
              X