Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dropped my guitar! :-)

Hi,

To cut a long story short, I got annoyed at a rehearsal a few weeks back, and threw down my guitar.

Unfortunately it was my beloved Charvel Model 1 with butchered on Kahler.

On checking it over I noticed that there was a crack on the back of the neck running from approx the middle of the headstock to just past the nut, and on the front of the neck running up from a screw hole used to fit a locking nut up through the Charvel Logo.

Also some paint flaked off around the neck pocket on the body and there is a small cracl running from the pocket an inch or so down the body.

I could very slightly feel the crack on the back of the neck, so I sanded it down a bit, and its smooth now.

Do you think these could be stress cracks from the guitar landing on its face? I did lose the tip of the headstock, but glued it back on.

I have now had the guitar strung up to pitch with 10's for a few weeks now. Tuning is stable, nothing seems to be shifting, and I have gigged the guitar since that rehearsal about 4 times with no problem. I am not so bothered about the cosmetics (though its not as pretty as it was :-() but I wonder if any of these cracks are structural.

Anyone here (accidentally) dropped their guitar and has any experience? I Play this thing almost every day and wished I'd had a bit more self control.

Re: I dropped my guitar! :-)

First off don't throw temper tantrums in public it makes you appear to be a whiney ass nancy boy!!!
    It will take time to see if you did major structural damage to the guitar.My advice is where ever you see a crack just bleed some super glue into the crack and then just keep an eye on it but by all means keep playing it.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Bah! You got no damage (must not have slammed it too hard, or you're a nancy boy [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] )
      Anyhoo, it should be fine. The way the necks are cut means the pressure of the strings pulling the head forward is compensated for the reverse-angle of the head as well as the grain of the wood, which runs parallel to the strings, which also makes it harder for them to pull the head forward.
      Plus it's maple, so it ain't going anywhere.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've dropped, kicked, thrown, smashed, built, painted, done you-name-it to guitars. If it hasn't fallen apart in your hands yet, don't worry about it. If it snaps in half, get a tech to glue it back together. If it's staying in tune and playing OK, don't worry too much about it. If you had a Gretch White Falcon or something, pampering it wouldn't be a bad idea, but a Charvel Model 1, cool a they are, they are meant to be played, not babied.

Comment

Could not resist: "I dropped my guitar and it won't get up"
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett:
            Could not resist: "I dropped my guitar and it won't get up"
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Suddenly crickets around the world begin to chirp... [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Comment

i still have vivid memories of throwing my early 80s nj warlock through a garage door at band practice. good times.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It would be pretty hard to tear up a model 1 by just dropping it.They are built like a tank.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                  i still have vivid memories of throwing my early 80s nj warlock through a garage door at band practice. good times.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">bah....I was going to say "it's not like you threw it through a garage door..." meh
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

I got mad and slammed my LP copy face-first onto the floor once - snapped the head clean off as well as the bar for the Kahler [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    I put another junky neck off another junky guitar and it's a-ok [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Luv them bolt-ons [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Better yet, ever see "Crossroads"? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The way LP's(and the copies) are made the grain is very short in the headstock, they are very prone to cracking there.

Comment

&gt; Anyhoo, it should be fine. [ ... ]
                        &gt; Plus it's maple, so it ain't going anywhere.

All right, this reassures me..... i had a kelly neck (the one i'm using for my rhoads project) on a wall hook, and my cats knocked it down, landed against a speaker and made a dent in the headstock. I was afraid that once i re-assemble the guitar it would snap or something. Seems like i have no reason to worry.. (:

&gt; I got mad and slammed my LP copy face-first onto the floor once -
                        &gt; snapped the head clean off as well as the bar for the Kahler [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

hahaha les pauls always have crack-prone headstocks ..... most repairs ever done on lp's are headstocks that snapped off.
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                        X