My Floyd ,built like a crusty old tank;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Floyd ,built like a crusty old tank;

Thanks for all your input. Now that my OFR orgasim is over, I decided to clean it up. Well, you know how it goes, if you have six screws to loosen there will always be one that won't budge. That's what happened with the saddle adjustment screws. I did get it out. I took all the other saddles off and twisted the stuck one. It came off and I got the screw out. Then, I started on the string blocks. El Stuckoed. And then, I discovered the saddles are supposed to pivot. (Call me dumb.) One out of six isn't bad. All this time, I am dunking myself and the parts in transmission fluid. (Works great). Scrape, scrape, scrape. Then I put Mr. Floyd (call me Mr. Potato head) back together. I then liberally oiled it and I am going to let it sit for about, Oh, until hell freezes over. Actually, it's kind of fun to restore it. Any suggestions on how to get the saddles to pivot? " I will boil you in oil!!!"
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Re: My Floyd ,built like a crusty old tank;

i let mine sit in "Break-Free" (walmart gun center) then i took a toothbrush and fiddled with it. then i took the high E string clipping and used that to try and etch out the grime from the seem at the joint. finally i stuck the string block bolt in the back of it and screwed the saddle on to the baseplate sidways and used the string lock bolt as a leverage handle to work the joint up and down.

~JW
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I thought about that. These guys are really stuck. I am seriously thinking about boiling the saddles in oil. They boil turkeys in oil, so why not old Floyd here?
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Just get some WD-40 or other thin oil (3 in 1, liqud wrench, etc.) and spray the parts down real good in a plastic container. let them sit for a few hours or overnight, then use a stiff brush (not metal!) to scrape off some grime. THe soaking should free the stuck parts pretty easily. good luck!

Comment

go ahead and boil it in oil. then you still might have to take a small pointed object and wedge it into the cracks and scrape out some filth.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

There's a product called "PB Blaster" [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] it puts WD 40 to shame. It is really great stuff.
            It comes in a spray can like WD or LPS, but it is the BEST!!!

nandrew

Comment

True. PB Blaster is amazing, and does put WD-40 to shame for getting crusty parts to move, separate, etc.

Comment

Break Free is by far the best product for breaking loose rusty parts.After you scrub the parts clean and wipe them off just add a little drop and you have lubed the part and protected it from rusting up again.Truly a great product.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If the saddles are not pivoting as they should, try using 2 crescent wrenches as leverage to get them moving. With each saddle componet removed, have one wrench hold the one end and a smaller one to hold the "fork" end. A little force should get them moving, and the flat surfaces of the wrenches should keep from marring the surface.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                  X