Major "Checking"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major "Checking"

I need advise. This a very nice acoustic I have that is checked bigtime. I also have a 1968 Epi with the same problem. Do I dare do anything or will it just make the checks swell? Thanks
    I am a true ass set to this board.

There is no repair for finish checking except a complete refin. About all you can do with a lacquer-finished guitar is try to prevent checking by being super careful about temperature or humidity changes.

Comment

I thought about oiling it (Lemon). But I just felt that the oil would seep and raise the lacquer. Maybe leaving it alone is the right course. We all know that we want to improve the finish.

Comment

I think you're absolutely right that oiling will just make things worse.

Comment

Hello fett,

People pay thousands of dollars more for a murphy aged les paul reissue and I think checking has added to the beauty of your guitar. I would keep it that way and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            There is no repair for finish checking except a complete refin. About all you can do with a lacquer-finished guitar is try to prevent checking by being super careful about temperature or humidity changes.
            +1

Comment

I love it just how it is, Bill
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

It is kinda cool. It weighs a ton. This is not a "Name" guitar. It's a Martin replica from a maker that I could find no info on. $35.:ROTF:

Comment

Nice looking axe. I like the grain. How does it sound?

Comment

To me a nice tight crazing/checking adds to a vintage guitar. It makes it show its age and its awesome! Wait until it starts falling off in your hands before refinning imo.

Comment

Me likes checking

fett: My 56 is checked,see :
                      Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

As mentioned above the best course of action is to leave it alone. As lacquer ages it becomes brittle but the wood still expands and contracts with temp and humidity. I put my guitars in their cases should I see big changes in the weather coming. This may not make the the finish last any longer but that's what my mind tells me.
                        Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

Working...
                        X