Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting the Hot Rails

Huh, I screwed it up, I see. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So, one pin is now taken by red and white, and another by ground. but which ground? Bare or green?

Re: Splitting the Hot Rails

the green & bare wire should already be grounded. you need a NEW wire to ground the switch. i usually use the center pin of the switch & ground that to either the vol. pot or the shield plate. then wire the red & white to one of the side pins.

Comment

Amateur me. Now it's okay. Thanks!

Comment

Splitting the Hot Rails

I've just installed Hot Rails, but now I want to split them too.

I have a 2-way mini toggle with three pins.
        It looks exactly like this:

I've connected it right, because there's not other way (I have tried all combinations).
        So, when I want to split, the pickup dies and all I get is a very very tiny sound, which is very difficult to hear.

Should I ground this switch or something? Oh, I've splitted the red and the white one.

Comment

you dont split the red & white wires, tie them together, then use the switch to ground them or NOT. when its not grounding those 2 wires it a hum, ground the red & white its tapped.

Comment

There's lots of cool stuff you can do with on/off/on DPDT (6 pin) switches... like normal/off/split-coiled using one switch, or normal/off/inverted-phase, etc etc.... using those as individual toggles for each pickup, gives you very powerful wiring possibilities.

basically a dpdt (double pole, double through/throw?) is two switches in one, controlled by the same lever. it's always more versatile to have those since using only one side is the exact same as using a spdt like the one above.. and they're just a little bit larger.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

btw how is the hot rails? never heard it before..
              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by delt:
                btw how is the hot rails? never heard it before..
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In my case, it's wonderful. It isn't that powerful than SH-6, EMG's or other high output pickpus, but it sure rocks. If you wanna shred really, then you will need a humbucker, but personally the Hot Rails can be used as an emergency solution.

I use it to play some rock stuff (Iron Maiden, etc.) and I get really nice tones.

I've equiped my guitar with that switch and I have found very good position to place it (between the blade swtich and volume and first tone knob). It's wonderful and you don't hit it while playing.

I've wired the pots the way it was shown on the SD diagram and it's better than before. I had a resistor on volume pot (stock) and I don't know why, really. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I will make some recordings when I get my mixer back, if you're interested.

Comment

I have HotRails in my Warrior , I had EMGs in there before but the HotRails were put back in from the previous owner
                  Charvel750 &amp; it's a good thing the guitar is full of tone all the way thru. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  According To The Prophecy

Comment

I put Scorcher 3pc set in my pawnshop squier strat and they sound great

Comment

Working...
                    X