This maybe sounds stupid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This maybe sounds stupid...

... but how do you replace the nut on a Strat? I was thinking of getting a brass one, because this plastic one is so worn out.

Do I need some special tools and glue for fixing a new one? Can I just take it down with hand or screwdriver or is it glued on?

[img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Don't laugh, because I am laughing enough ... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ June 21, 2004, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: Immortal ]

Re: This maybe sounds stupid...

As far as I know you are speaking german, too?
    There is a Nut-Manual in german here:

http://www.rockinger.com/showroom/workprt2.htm

Comment

Ja, freilich. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Danke schön!

Comment

This is a very radical way. I want to be gentle, because they're my guitars.

What about heating it a bit with hairdryer?
        And gluing it with paper/wood glue? I don't want to use those poliester crazy glues that dry in second, because they're too hot.

You are German ... I want to use that all purpose UHU glue. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        I used that once on an acoustic guitar pickguard and it was great. And when you heat it up, it becomes less sticky and you can easily remove it.

Comment

Take a very small flat blade screwdriver and a small hammer and tap from the side of the nut it should pop right out.I use a little wood glue just to hold them in place.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard:
            Take a very small flat blade screwdriver and a small hammer and tap from the side of the nut it should pop right out.I use a little wood glue just to hold them in place.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just what I would do. Be gentle and think twice before you do anything. Don't use too strong of a glue, what if you need to replace it later? Good luck!

Comment

if the neck has a finish on it, it's also a good idea to run a razor blade along the edges to score it a bit, it'll help you get it out.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

definitely go with the uhu; we've got that in the states as well.

you could try the hair dryer to heat it up a bit; as long as you're not heating up the headstock finish so much that the clear coat softens, you'll be fine.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                  definitely go with the uhu; we've got that in the states as well.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry about this one! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I really don't know which products differ and which don't.

[QB]you could try the hair dryer to heat it up a bit; as long as you're not heating up the headstock finish so much that the clear coat softens, you'll be fine.

sully [QB]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was thinking of heating it for maximum 7-8 minutes. I think 5 minutes should be great, what do you think?

Comment

you may not even need it, really. i'd just score the area around the nut with a razor and whack it outta there. if it doesn't go after a few shots, try the dryer.

sully
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                      if the neck has a finish on it, it's also a good idea to run a razor blade along the edges to score it a bit, it'll help you get it out.

sully
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks, I am aware of that.

I noticed some glue-like poliester under the nut, so I'll be very carefully when removing it.

What about hairdryer? Nobody did tell about it anything...

UHU is a paper glue. More of wannabe glue. It just keeps things in place. If you move it more roughly it's not that reliable anymore, so it will be great for the nut I think.

Comment

You probably don't need any heat. Score it with a blade and then knock it out of there. It should have only just a little glue anyway unless the manufacturer went crazy. As far as a glue to use, something that doesn't dry right away and it doesn't have to hold good. All the glue needs to do is just hold the nut in place and string tension will do most of that so use just a little glue.

Comment

Working...
                        X