Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Horns, Talk to me about Carvin Amps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Horns, Talk to me about Carvin Amps!

I know you have been preaching Carvin amps for awhile now. I am curious if you could give your opinin of a 1200 watt Carvin BX (similar I have heard to a RL1000) versus the Ampeg SVT4 - Pro? I will be running the head into a Carvin 4 x 10 & 1 x 15 cab. I play mostly speed/thrash and 80's metal (Priest, Maiden etc), and love the tone of the Ampeg, but the price is a bit steep. Thanks in advance man.

Sorry for the late response..Carvins are second to none..for ANY price when it comes to bass amps!!!

I never had the newer BX..but I had a pro bass 500, then a pro bass 900..then "red eye" stack..All were the 1-18/ 4-10" cab configuration that I always ran bi-amped.

They blew away both of my Ampeg SVTs a 1976 SVT w/ 8-10"..and all tube SVT II w/ 1-15" / 4-10's..which was twice the cost of the Carvin stack and NOT worth it.

The Carvins are unbeatable..as far as actual tone shaping, headroom, power and punch..with prestine clarity..and all of them had awesome built-in compressors and noise gates. I go for a VERY clean tone.like a Piano..no flatulence at all, but you have the option to dial in a little dirt if you want to.

I owned top of the line Peaveys, GKs, SWRs , Ampegs ect..Carvins are the best!!!

Oh, and I NEVER had a problem with any of them ..and they had plenty of abuse at shows..including opening bands using my rig..I ALWAYS received compliments on my sound.

I'd like to buy another one..eventualy.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Cool thanks for the reply. How is the gain channel on the Carvin. While I don't go for a Lemmy super distorted tone, I do like to add a bit of growl and bite. The price on the Carvin head is sweet, and would match nicely with my cabs, I just wish I could demo one before I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by mournblade View Post
        Cool thanks for the reply. How is the gain channel on the Carvin. While I don't go for a Lemmy super distorted tone, I do like to add a bit of growl and bite. The price on the Carvin head is sweet, and would match nicely with my cabs, I just wish I could demo one before I bought it.
        It could do Lemmy fine..but I always opted to get a very "clean" tone.

The preamp in my G $ L 2000s used to get a good "bite"..or you can always throw a stomp in the fronts. But I don't think that would be neccessary.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks again for the reply man.

Comment

This is the perfect opportunity to use the private messaging feature of the forum.
            Scott

Comment

Perhaps, but I thought other bass players might also be interested in his response.

Comment

Originally posted by mournblade View Post
                Perhaps, but I thought other bass players might also be interested in his response.

Well, Of course they are!!!..

Comment

I had an R1000 that worked great for about 2 years. But the first gig I had with my new band it crapped out.

Comment

Carvin is great but you should also check out Ashdown amps... best bang for the buck
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                      Carvin is great but you should also check out Ashdown amps... best bang for the buck
                      I read about Roy Z and Joe Floyd diggin' those (guitar amps). Never tried one tho..they're not around here.

Comment

Working...
                      X