Removing lacquer from a maple neck/board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing lacquer from a maple neck/board

I use a single edge razor blade.Hold it straight up and down and scrape the lacquer off.Go in one direction not back and forth.Thats for the finger board for the back 400 grit sand paper will cut the lacquer pretty quick so go gently.Finish up with 1500 grit on the back until its feels smooth.If it gets dirty just hit it with 00 steel wool even the fretboard and that should clean it up.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Re: Removing lacquer from a maple neck/board

I was told you had to remove the frets to take it off the fingerboard.
    www.kiddhavok.com
    www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

If you use a solvent of some sort, you should remove the frets and reseat them because the solvent may loosen the glue holding the frets. If you just scrape it off, it shouldn't matter.

Comment

Nope just scrape it off.I've done tons of them that way.Its time consuming but it beats pulling the frets out.People that have never done fret work will say stuff like that.If the frets are fine leave them alone.Fret work is very labor intensive believe me thats why I charge $250.00+ to do complete fret job.

Comment

If you pull the frets you stand the chance of chipping the fingerboard pulling them out.then you have to clean out the fret channels.A lot of times the frets don't want to go back in and stay down.It is just a lot of extra work.Having the proper tools helps a lot but it is still a lot of work.

Comment

Removing lacquer from a maple neck/board

I recently bought a Fernandes Strat, which has a thickly lacquered maple neck and board. I would like to get rid of this, in favour of something thinner and more slippery! What's the best way of going about it?

Comment

steel wool will remove the finish off maple necks & fretboards. just remember to cover the pickups WELL.

Comment

It is poly on those necks. You canb dull it with steel wool. I would go with a 000 grade.

Comment

Working...
                X