Starting a project guitar...need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a project guitar...need help

With all the work involved, it may be easier or less expensive to buy a new guitar, or order parts from warmoth to build your own. If you just wan tto do it for the sake of having a project, pawn shops are a decent place to find crappy guitars. All the ones i frequent are loaded with Ibanes RG guitars which are what the JEM's are based on.

Starting a project guitar...need help

Lately ive been wanting to get either an old beat up 80's charvel strat or ibanez jem-style guitar. Im looking to have it repainted, neck reconditioned, new pickups installed, and perhaps buying a new tremolo for it, if the old one is in not-so-good shape. After im through, i want all the hardware to be chrome, and the body to be a dark blue, nearly black. After all the old paint is stripped off and the new paint is on, I also want to put on a new headstock decal, like you can find on ebay.

...My expectations aside, does anyone know of a good place that i can send the guitar out to be repainted? As far as the old grimy worn neck goes, is that something i can lightly sand myself, and then finish with some kind of oil. Or is there a smarter and better looking way? Can anyone here whos done any projects like this give me some good tips?

Comment

Working...
    X