Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMGs prone to squealing feedback??

Originally posted by reprieve:
    My EMG HZ-guitar is the opposite, I never had feedback problems with these pickups.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I did, and that was a huge amount of it.

It's funny how guitar screams when it shouldn't, but when you're trying to make some speacial effects (whether for pose or the type of the song - doesn't matter) you just can't get her screaming. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: EMGs prone to squealing feedback??

a thing about a lot of guys using EMG'ed guitars is they usually run them with a Boss NS-2 noise gate, to keep their muting and whatever other tricks solid and tight.

Comment

Hi

One reason for uncontrollable "nonmusical" feedback can be caused by bad preamp tube(s).
      Rocktron Hush pedal is worth trying too.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
        Are these wired wrong or is this known to happen with EMGs? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I have a Rhoads with 2x85 and have had the 81/85 combo in another Rhoads - played through a Engl 530 preamp / Peavey 50/50 power amp. Lots of gain. Even at high volumes there's no squeling feedback, only pleasant overdrive feedback when i'm not muting the strings. So, i'm puzzled. In my world it's NOT known to happen with EMG's. I don't know where your problem lies. So, not much help, but just to tell you that something's not right. The EMG's are not to blame i think.

/Henrik
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by Concreteshoes:
          Hi

One reason for uncontrollable "nonmusical" feedback can be caused by bad preamp tube(s).
          Rocktron Hush pedal is worth trying too.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think it's the tubes in my Mesa, as it does it in my Valvestate which has only one preamp tube somewhere in it, and it's fine. I also played through a Marshall mini stack that's got no tubes at all and I got the same squealing problem.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Avenged:
            a thing about a lot of guys using EMG'ed guitars is they usually run them with a Boss NS-2 noise gate, to keep their muting and whatever other tricks solid and tight.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do have an NS2 somewhere down in my basement I haven't used in awhile. I'll go dig that thing out and try it later on.

Comment

EMGs prone to squealing feedback??

I've noticed that my EMG-equipped guitars all seem to get feedback out of my amp even at kinda low living room volume levels. If I don't put my hand over the strings when I stop playing, they seem to feedback pretty easily. At louder levels when trying to play over a drummer, even muting the strings still brings out a high-pitched squeal, no matter how far away in front, behind or to the side of the amp I stand. Are these wired wrong or is this known to happen with EMGs? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got the same problem with my EMG 81 equipped guitar. My EMG HZ-guitar is the opposite, I never had feedback problems with these pickups. I think it depends on the amp, too. I am using am Marshall 8100 Valvestate Halfstack.

Comment

This is the issue of every active circuity, since its output is higher than on passive.

I don't have that problem when I play at home. Honestly, I have to blackmail ( [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) the guitar to produce some feedback and I play very loud at home.

At high volumes, this is something you can never be without. Even my ex-Ibanez guitar and now my Strat scream(ed) like shit.

That's why we have volume knobs. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I was checking some Malmsteem and Petrucci lessons and they both always put volume to the min when not playing, even if that's just for a second or two.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I try to keep the volume down usually when not playing, but doing some old-school Metallica and the like where there's a lot of quick starts and stops and it should be quiet in there, it can get annoying. The one guitar is 85/60, the other 81/81 and the other is 85/81, and I really love the tone of EMGs and don't want to give them up. I guess maybe I'll have to dig out the old Boss Noise Suppressor pedal and see if that helps, or maybe I'll have to look into one of those Behringer Feedback Exterminators and see if that'll do the trick.

I also play through either an old Marshall Valvestate 8240 2x12 stereo chorus combo or a Mesa/Boogie F-30 1x12 combo.

Comment

i play at bedroom levels with my dual emg81 equipped guitar, as far as the feedback is concerned, it happens to me too, but it sounds musical to me, so when i kick in my deluxe memory man, i can get some spacey atmospheric stuff going on...

Comment

I don't think it's the tubes in my Mesa, as it does it in my Valvestate which has only one preamp tube somewhere in it, and it's fine. I also played through a Marshall mini stack that's got no tubes at all and I got the same squealing problem.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe input stages on those amps just can not handle the output from Emg:s good enough.

Back off the gain and see what happens. Or if you already did, did it help at all?

Comment

When I play loud as hell with my Jackson strat(EMG81 in bridge) at band practice, through a Peavey Bandit, I just get the good kind of feedback.

Comment

At full rehearsal or performing volume I get squealing feedback with ANY pickup.
                            But my NS-2 takes care of that very nicely.
                            With a bit of tweaking you can find the sweet spot where it stops the squeals without stopping your tone.

Comment

EMGs would squeal like a stuck pig thru my SLO. Every guitar I played with EMGs did that.
                              Yet another reason why I hate 'em!

Comment

Working...
                              X