Tuning problems!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning problems!!

Have you checked the string intonation? Is the Floyd level with the body surface?

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: Tuning problems!!

Originally posted by CKYbryan:
    ok, i have a Randy Rhoads w/floyd rose and I recently changed the strings and had to ajust the springs and stuff to level the floyd rose out, anyway i tuned it up and start to play and it sounds way out of tune but only on the top two strings for some reason like when i play a power chord it's sound way off but my tuner and my ear are telling me it's tuned, anyway i'm not really familiar with the floyd rose bridge but i'm guessing it's the problem.
    PLEASE HELP!! I'm goin crazy because I can't play until I fix it!!
    [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How were you checking the pitch of the tune? With your locking nuts on or off? If off, then put them on and tune the guitar with fine tuners.
    When you lock the nut, strings get pushed down and tones get raised a bit. The lowest string is the thickest and logically it gets pressed more than the fifth (A in standard E tuning) string. So the lowest string gets more out of the tune that high ones.

Okay, if that's not it, then check the intonation.

But I have a feeling that locking nuts are the problem.

Comment

If you raised the bridge when you restrung it, your intonation may be out.
      Also, make sure you stretch the strings completely before locking the nuts. It'll still take a little while for them to settle, so just play, retune, play, retune, etc.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If my intonation is off, how do i fix it?
        [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

If my intonation is off, how do i fix it?
          [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You will have to set new string lenght by putting the saddles away or closer to the neck.

Comment

Tuning problems!!

ok, i have a Randy Rhoads w/floyd rose and I recently changed the strings and had to ajust the springs and stuff to level the floyd rose out, anyway i tuned it up and start to play and it sounds way out of tune but only on the top two strings for some reason like when i play a power chord it's sound way off but my tuner and my ear are telling me it's tuned, anyway i'm not really familiar with the floyd rose bridge but i'm guessing it's the problem.
            PLEASE HELP!! I'm goin crazy because I can't play until I fix it!!
            [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, but how do i know when the inotation is correct?
              [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, but how do i know when the inotation is correct?
                [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">First check the open string tone and tune it to the pitch. Then check the tone of the 12th fret (of the same string) and it has to be as close to the pitch as possible. If it's sharp, move that saddle away from the neck, if flat, the put it closer to the neck.

With tremolos you'll always find some slight variations in the intonation, because it's a floating bridge.

Comment

INtonation with a floyd can be a real ***** .
                  If you want to learn about your floyd and be able to do it yourself, jump right in and try it. You can't mess is up (break anything). If worse comes to worse, you'll make the intonation worse, not better.

If you understand what Immortal is telling you, and you want to try it, go ahead. once you slide the saddle a few times and hear the difference it makes between open and 12th fret, you'll understand it, then it gets easier.

nandrew

Comment

You should check out Kevin Eastons Floyd set up video. That will give you all the info you need.
                    Floyd Setup video
                    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

For precise intonation setting, the pitch should be the same for harmonic and (lightly) fretted note at the 12, 19 and 24 frets. Most likely it will be a little bit higher when you fret it (again, don't press too hard on the strings) especially on the lower strings, so you'll need to move the saddles away from the neck to make the vibrating string length slightly longer.
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                      X