Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a big difference between a J40 and a J90C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a big difference between a J40 and a J90C?

I don't know if this is an import question but my J90C finally crapped out on me in my Mod 2 and I found a J40 at the bottom of my pup box. I also found a bunch of Tone Zones and Freds in the box that I could use as refrigerator magnets but I digress. It seems some wires have crossed paths in the J90C casing and it has to be laid to rest. I would like to hear some user opinions of the J40 because I would like, out of sentimentality, to stay in house. I have an early 90's Jackson RR Professional that sounds incredible through my Carvin Vintage 50 4x10 but I feel more comfortable playing the Model 2. Thanks for your time, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

J40? You sure that this is correct? I have a couple of J50s, but I've never heard of a J40?

Edit: I found a J40 in a spec sheet from 1987...but it's a bass guitar pickup...
    http://audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/Jac...ElecPage05.htm

If it fits the pup ring for a guitar, I say try it out by all means - I doubt anyone can tell you how it would compare to a J90C though, so I guess you'd have to find out for yourself.
    Last edited by Sunbane; 09-06-2007, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Is there a big difference between a J40 and a J90C?

Originally posted by slimpotatoes View Post
      I don't know if this is an import question but my J90C finally crapped out on me in my Mod 2 and I found a J40 at the bottom of my pup box. I also found a bunch of Tone Zones and Freds in the box that I could use as refrigerator magnets but I digress. It seems some wires have crossed paths in the J90C casing and it has to be laid to rest. I would like to hear some user opinions of the J40 because I would like, out of sentimentality, to stay in house. I have an early 90's Jackson RR Professional that sounds incredible through my Carvin Vintage 50 4x10 but I feel more comfortable playing the Model 2. Thanks for your time, feedback would be greatly appreciated.
      The J90C is definitely a distortion-type pickup. Comparable to a Duncan JB or Distortion. A bit more "brittle," not quite as toneful, but actually a decent pickup that works well with some amps.

I'm not familiar with the J40, but the J50 is more of a PAF-type.
      GM,
      www.aftershok.com

Comment

Thanks for the info. I loved that J90C. I took my J40 out of the bridge position of my late '80s, metallic blue Professional XL soloist. You know the guitar, same as a Professional but with the rosewood fretboard. I got the guitar without a trem so I swapped the bridge pup for a blue colored Dimarzio I had laying around and held on to the japanese bridge pup, the J40. The pup ohms out at 12.7k. I loved the J90C because it had all the balls of an EMG but not that brittle, sterile top end that they have. I guess I'll drop her in and let you know what it sounds like if you're interested. Again, thanks for the help.

Comment

Cool!

The Soloist XL appeared first in 92 though.

Comment

Also, the neck pup in my early 90's RR Professional is a J-50N. That sounds familiar but the bridge pup has a hand written sticker that says, as best as I can make out, J?-3 10.8. Sounds great though.
            My J40 also has a sticker on the base plate that reads, Jackson Pickups Made in U.S.A.
            Curiouser and curiouser

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
              Cool!

The Soloist XL appeared first in 92 though.
              You're probably right. The serial number looks like JSC1529.

Comment

Maybe it's a J-90 with a handwritten label. The 9 just looks like a 4

Comment

Originally posted by slimpotatoes View Post
                  You're probably right.
                  "Probably right" ?

Ha ha, silly newbie
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Please, I beg forgiveness for the dementia. Years of alcohol and self-medication have come home to haunt.

This J40 pickup did come out of, what I have found out is a '93 XL, the bridge position and does not have Jackson engraved on the base plate. The pickup has two stickers, one is printed J-40 and the other is a larger sticker that states Jackson Pickups Made in USA. I can supply anyone with pics if it might help. I was hoping that those wiser than I might have some possible info. Thank you for your patience.

Oh, many thanks to audiozone.dk

Comment

Sounds like someone mod'ed the '93 XL and put in the wrong pickup.

Comment

My guess is that you have a mislabelled pickup. If it's reading 12.7k, the two closest pickups I'm familiar with are the J80 and the J80C, which both are listed at 13k. The stock bridge pickup in the Soloist XL is listed as a J92C, which I know nothing about.

Comment

JSC1529 what kind of serial number is that?Post a pic of the guitar and the back of the pickup.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                            The stock bridge pickup in the Soloist XL is listed as a J92C, which I know nothing about.
                            The KV Pro is listed as a J92 as well... mine has a J80, I havent been able to find any info on the J92. Seems like there are a either a few mystery pickups or some typos.
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                              The KV Pro is listed as a J92 as well... mine has a J80, I havent been able to find any info on the J92. Seems like there are a either a few mystery pickups or some typos.
                              I thought around 1992/1993 Jackson renamed all there pickups? At least thats what the catalog suggests.

Comment

Working...
                              X