Fretboard Scalloping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard Scalloping

Hello everyone. I'm a first time poster, but long time reader. I have a white DK2M now (like everyone ha ha), but I am thinking about having a CS USA made. I looked all over but I can't find the answer to my question. Can the custom shop do fretboard scallops with a binding on the neck? I wouldn't think so, but I wanted to check with you guys. I was thinking an ebony board (I love ebony with a binding) with the 17 to the 24 fret scalloped with fret size 6105. Thanks in advance.
    "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

I'm sure they can, but it could look like shit.
    Just depends on how deep the scallops were.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      I'm sure they can, but it could look like shit.
      Just depends on how deep the scallops were.
      +1 Mike Kotzen told me the USA Custom Shop does these by hand. No CNC on these.

And Welcome Aboard! Prepare to have major GAS!
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Diver View Post
        but I am thinking about having a CS USA made.
        are you independently wealthy, like some members here who like to show off, or are you just going to go into hock for this guitar?

(i.e., do you know the pricing on CS's these days??)
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
          are you independently wealthy, like some members here who like to show off, or are you just going to go into hock for this guitar?

(i.e., do you know the pricing on CS's these days??)
          I hear you. That is why I said I was "thinking about" , but no I don't know the current prices right now. Would you care to throw out some numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
            +1 Mike Kotzen told me the USA Custom Shop does these by hand. No CNC on these.

And Welcome Aboard! Prepare to have major GAS!
            Thanks for the welcome. I already have a big case of GAS. lol My DK2M is doing a good job right now, though.

Comment

There are some pix floating around here with a soloist that was scalloped,dont think it was factory.Oh yeah, welcome aboard.
              Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

There were pics of a customshop soloist with scalloped frets. I believe it was the "I think I was sick when i ordered this" thread in the USA section.

Comment

Originally posted by DC_rhoads82 View Post
                  There were pics of a customshop soloist with scalloped frets. I believe it was the "I think I was sick when i ordered this" thread in the USA section.
                  So it can be done? Thanks for the help (and everyone). I will check it out

Comment

Dont think I've ever seen a scalloped fretboard WITH binding. Welcome to the forum! About the cs prices...depends on what options you are looking at. I believe they are at least $3000 and UPWARDS.
                    Sam

Comment

I think I was sick was without binding.

I dont recall ever seeing a guitar with binding with scallops, but I dont see why it cant be done.

It may look a little odd because the binding would be very thin at the bottom of a scallop, but that's certainly no reason it cant be done.

-------edit----- actually, somewhere I think I recall seeing a CS with scallops from 13-24 that had binding.... dont remember whose it was though. But still don't recall any full scallops with binding.

Comment

Originally posted by DC_rhoads82 View Post

I found it, it doesnt have neck binding. I think the one was green and only from the 12th and higher was done,the entire fret wasnt scalloped either.
                        Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Anyone can show a link or pic of that scalloped soloist ?

Comment

Not a soloist, but here's a Jackson CS RR with binding and scallops:

I don't see a reason why this could be a problem...but you made me worry now a little bit - I have a Jackson Stars CS RR on order with binding and some fret scallops...

Comment

I've seen a few pics of guitars with both binding and scallops, and they look just fine. I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X