DiMarzio Tone Zone VS DiMarzio Super 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Tone Zone VS DiMarzio Super 3

I sorta like the sound of my Super 3, but could do better in terms of the low-mid "fatness" department, a la EMG-85, but I want to stay passive. Think of a fat classic metal (Maiden, Priest) tone that goes great with a medium gain setting. Hence, I love mid-high powered pickups into medium gain settings. I've browsed DiMarzio's site and the Tone Zone sounds tempting. Anybody compare the two in a maple neckthrough poplar-winged Floyded guitar, bridge position?

Yes, I realize the Super 3 is already a "fattened" version of the Super Distortion. I need MORE, damnit! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: DiMarzio Tone Zone VS DiMarzio Super 3

i changed in my san dimas I koe reissue the original super3 to a tonezone. i wanted more bottomend and yes it worked. very nice pup!

i have not tried it in my soloist pro, which is a maple neck thru with poplar wings, sorry. here i use a evolution bridge.

but back to TZ vs. s3, i put the super3 in my charvel 375dlx, which should have a poplar body, and it works great. the guitar had too much bottom end and after i put in the super3, it was not too much bass anymore and it sounds fine now.

you can download a soundfile of my 375 with the super3 and my sand dimas III (which is made of mahagoni with maple top and had the TZ stock) if you want. let me know and i´ll send you the links.

Comment

I've got no experience with the SD3, but it sounds like Joe did a great job in describing it for you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I put a TZ in my red string-thru Dinky that was poplar (I sold it to SpaceAce), and it definitely had a lot of low end, especially considering I had tuned that guitar to D!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

the super III is crunchier and the TZ is fatter and has a lot more thump and does a better old metal tone ala maiden, priest, sabbath, etc
        i am selling my tone zone http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...;f=10;t=004567
        because i am going duncans for
        the guitar the dimarzio's were in.

Comment

Working...
        X