Adjusting height of pole pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting height of pole pieces

I'd like to adjust the pole-pieces of the SCs (i guess they are J100s) in my Model 1A - but I haven't found a screw or whatever... is it possible at all to set the height of the pole pieces on these SCs?

The problem is that the height of the g-string pole pieces is standing out quite a lot on all three SCs... so the g-string is really way louder than all of the other strings, which is annoying...

No, that's just pretty much the standard way that most single coils are. When Fender came out with single coil pickups, they had the poles staggered to contour to the round fingerboard radius; therefore, the E strings will be the lowest, the B and A strings a little higher, and the G and D strings the highest. To fix your problem, you'll either have to raise your saddles a little bit or go with pickups that have flat poles or rails.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just thought of this, but could you file down the pole pieces? Or would that damage the pickup? This is assuming you can keep all of the metal filings from sticking to the magnet of course.
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        No, that's just pretty much the standard way that most single coils are. When Fender came out with single coil pickups, they had the poles staggered to contour to the round fingerboard radius; therefore, the E strings will be the lowest, the B and A strings a little higher, and the G and D strings the highest. To fix your problem, you'll either have to raise your saddles a little bit or go with pickups that have flat poles or rails.

Yeah, I know the "normal" contour - but on these SCs the pole for the g-string is really obscenely () high... and just this one is sticking out that far, on all three pickups, so I thought the pre-owner set it up the way he liked it...

Comment

I don't know then. I don't think there's any way you can adjust them. Maybe it could be filed down like Spivonious suggested.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just use a piece of wooden dowel and a light hammer and tap them down.

Comment

Why don't I think that's such a good idea. If they are alnico poles, filing may not be such a hot idea either. Magnets are brittle and you could chip it or worse. Just lower the whole pup on that side. I guess.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Take one for the team and file away! I'm really curious now.
                Scott

Comment

here is a pic of one of the SCs (by the way, it's the pole for the D-string...)
                  and the other two look exactly the same (actually the d-string pole is even higher on the bridge PU)
                  here you can see the problem: the one for the d-string is really high, while the g and h poles are flat on the surface

Comment

I have a J100 kinda like that. I don't know how your 3rd string could be louder though, as its magnet is lowest.

Comment

That may be a pop-up. The only way to know for sure is look on the bottom of the pup. Based on the pic, the tapping down may not be such a bad idea afterall.
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                        That may be a pop-up. The only way to know for sure is look on the bottom of the pup. Based on the pic, the tapping down may not be such a bad idea afterall.
                        I've done it ...
                        You could probably just carefully press them down by hand if you're concerned about tapping them down with a light hammer.
                        The only thing keeping them snug is the bobbin and a little wax.
                        It's really not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                          I've done it ...
                          You could probably just carefully press them down by hand if you're concerned about tapping them down with a light hammer.
                          The only thing keeping them snug is the bobbin and a little wax.
                          It's really not a big deal.
                          I thought about using a clamp, seems to me the "smoothest" method

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                            I have a J100 kinda like that. I don't know how your 3rd string could be louder though, as its magnet is lowest.
                            my mistake, I initially was talking about the g string (rrr... g-string ), but it actually is the d string that is the problem

Comment

Originally posted by no-one View Post
                              I thought about using a clamp, seems to me the "smoothest" method
                              A clamp should work fine too.

Comment

Working...
                              X