Model 2 Wiring Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 2 Wiring Help

Well I am getting a new body and I was wondering I am gonna be starting from scratch on wiring.What are the STOCK Charvel Colors for a Model 2 ,gauges AND how it is wired.Thank in Advance.
    HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
    Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
    (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
    Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
    Boss TU-2
    2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
    1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
    1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

Stock colors? I dunno... I'll tell you what. Normally I just shorten the pickup wires to fit, and use that scrap to do the pots and output jack. But if you need more, black or white 24 gauge is what I use.

Comment

Does the body already have the pickup, the volume knob, and the the input jack in it?

Comment

No,I have to install them.
        Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
        (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
        Boss TU-2

Comment

I'm im the same situation. I won a charvel model 2 body off Ebay and have no idea how to set it up!

Do we take it to a guitar shop or something? =0

Comment

I'm confused. Are you wanting to know the color codes for the pickup wires, or are you aiming to do a 100% restoration, complete with accurately colored wires throughout?

Anyway, the color codes for the humbucking pickups are the same as for Seymour Duncans; black = hot, green = ground, and red and white = for splitting the coils. The dual lead pickups (J200) had white as hot, and black as ground I think.

As for the rest; the original wiring in my Charvels was just black and white wires. If I remember correctly, the ground wires were all black and the signal carrying ones were all white.

Comment

Maybe this will help?
              http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...kupcolorcodes/
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Well Thanks to the responses. Mainly I was to restore a Model 2 and want the correct colors and gauges,so ok grounds are black and hots are white.My other Q was mainly a Schematic on what gets hooked up where.
                Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
                (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
                Boss TU-2

Comment

Here you go:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...atic=1hum_1vol

Colors are the same & everything for this setup. The only time Duncan & Jackson color code difference comes into play is when you split the coils. The "ground wire from bridge" is soldered to the trem claw.
                  Last edited by dg; 09-04-2007, 10:25 PM.

Comment

What I mean is the the output Hot wire goes where,and the pickup wires go to which prong on the potentiometer,stuff like that
                    Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
                    (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
                    Boss TU-2

Comment

The Duncan diagram spells it out pretty well. I'll try to do it verbally:

The hot wire from the jack tip goes to the center lug of the volume pot. The black (hot) wire from the pickup goes to one of the outer lugs of the volume pot. Which lug you choose will affect the direction in which the pot works. If you want it to work normally, if you are looking into the cavity and have the 3 lugs facing to the right, solder the hot wire from the pickup to the bottom lug, and bend the top lug up and solder it to the back of the pot (ground). The green wire and the bare (shield) wire both are soldered to the back of the pot. A ground wire also must be run from the trem claw to the back of the pot. Finally, a wire is run from the back of the pot to the sleeve (outer portion) of the jack.

A tip for soldering to the back of the pot and to the trem claw: Scuff it up with some emery cloth or scratch it good with a file, clean it with alcohol, and be sure to use flux. Bad grounds & poor solder joints are one of the most common problems with do-it-yourself wiring jobs. There's a really good soldering tutorial if you look in the sticky topic at the top of this section.

Comment

Did you get another body Dan?

Comment

THANK YOU Dg Yes Russell I bought a REALLY NICE Body from Budman. The Charvel Body I sold On Ebay the wiring was super rough,with ALOT of frayed wires,poor solder jobs that literally fell apart in my hands,so i have to start from TOTAL Scratch.I ordered some little parts to kinda start putting her together Slowly.
                          Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
                          (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
                          Boss TU-2

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            THANK YOU Dg Yes Russell I bought a REALLY NICE Body from Budman. The Charvel Body I sold On Ebay the wiring was super rough,with ALOT of frayed wires,poor solder jobs that literally fell apart in my hands,so i have to start from TOTAL Scratch.I ordered some little parts to kinda start putting her together Slowly.
                            Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                            X