Vintage Brass Bridge Screws Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Brass Bridge Screws Question

Ive got an original vintage brass trem. Were the six anchor screws which mount the bridge to the body solid brass or were they gold plated steel? When I got my guitar it had a variety for screws holding it on.

Thank you for your time, Vince
    Turn that Sh......... down!

Question:...what kind of guitar are you asking about? Most, if not all, are steel with plating. A magnet will tell. How do you know the trem is brass?

Comment

Steel on my new V-Trem.
      Last edited by ADR; 09-03-2007, 09:44 PM.
      Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
        Question:...what kind of guitar are you asking about? Most, if not all, are steel with plating. A magnet will tell. How do you know the trem is brass?

Answer:

PS: My magnetic screw tip screw stuck to the 6 screws.

Comment

On vintage Charvel's as an example, they were black steel screws on the brass trems. Black screws were also used on the pickup mounting rings. The newer Charvel's have gold plated screws holding the brass trems.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

ADR,
            That was my point. Grumpy was referring to a vague "vintage" piece.
            GOK what he's talking about. It could be a bigsby, for all I know.

Comment

"Ive got an original vintage brass trem." thats not vague at all. Thats is synomis with Charvel brand and I have the NOS (V-Trem) on my new San Dimas just like the early 80's(except for the gold screws, not black as Bengal65 indicated) that and the brass volume knob are like their trademark.

Comment

Sorry for any confusion.

I've got a mid to late 70's six screw Charvel brass trem bridge. It was mounted to my Charvel strat body of the same vintage with all kinds of screws.

When reinstalling it I would like to make sure I've got the proper anchor screws.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from the prior posts this is what I've gathered:

1) Typical original set up (1970's) was black steel screws
                2) Current production models have gold plated steel screws

Either way the six anchor screws were steel not brass.

Thanks again, Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
                  Sorry for any confusion.

I've got a mid to late 70's six screw Charvel brass trem bridge. It was mounted to my Charvel strat body of the same vintage with all kinds of screws.

When reinstalling it I would like to make sure I've got the proper anchor screws.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from the prior posts this is what I've gathered:

1) Typical original set up (1970's) was black steel screws
                  2) Current production models have gold plated steel screws

Either way the six anchor screws were steel not brass.

Thanks again, Vince
                  You are correct. The black screws extended into the early 80's as well. If you want some good pictures's, go to Trace's site. www.usacharvels.com. He has some early original Charvel's with some great pictures.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                    You are correct. The black screws extended into the early 80's as well. If you want some good pictures's, go to Trace's site. www.usacharvels.com. He has some early original Charvel's with some great pictures.
                    Thanks for the the site! Just the deatils I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                    X