Tightening or loosening pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tightening or loosening pots?

I think it goes, but I have always dealt with fixed pots. The rotating bar isn't screwed in, but it's stamped and fixed, so once you take it off, you can take it back.

All of the pots get loosened through time, so I think it is a standard "disorder".

Re: Tightening or loosening pots?

Originally posted by Travis:
    Something simple: did you check to make sure the knob wasn't too close to the body. I had the same problem with one of my other guitars and I never thought about it. Then one day I raised the knob up a little off the body and it turns as smooth as any other knob on the guitar. Just a suggestion.

By the way, how did the LP turn out with the EMG's?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They're not too close to the body at all. I noticed the guy put two of the long shaft posts and two of the short shaft posts in instead of all four long shafts like LPs usually use, though. He just added extra nuts on to make it sit a tiny bit higher and closer to even, because they looked a little goofy and uneven with them all the same because of the arched top. I'll check the nuts later and see if I can loosen them. They look great, but it does seems weird compared to the chrome Gibson pups that were in it before. I went with the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So, you like to show up with your guitars, don't you?

Comment

Tightening or loosening pots?

Just had my LP installed with EMGs. I noticed the bridge volume and tone controls turn very easily. The neck controls are a little tighter. Is there a way to remedy this so they all turn with the same degree of smoothness?

Comment

Something simple: did you check to make sure the knob wasn't too close to the body. I had the same problem with one of my other guitars and I never thought about it. Then one day I raised the knob up a little off the body and it turns as smooth as any other knob on the guitar. Just a suggestion.

By the way, how did the LP turn out with the EMG's?

Comment

dude, that case is so tight around the les paul that it makes it look like a whore [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

It is a whore... especially with its leather stiletto DiMarzio Cliplock! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

On a more serious note, I suppose you could take the pots out; take them apart and try to adjust them. The way the potheads,in my day, made them you could do this. In Reality?. I would get 4 new pots and test them before they are installed to make sure they had the same feel. I would also buy vintage pots. They are made better and have the urban ledgend surrounding them.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                X