No announcement yet.

Best glue to use for re-seating frets??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best glue to use for re-seating frets??

I see that Stew-Mac carries a variety of adhesives but which would work best for frets? I want to re-seat some fret ends that have lifted slightly on my Soloist-it seems easy enough to do right? From what I can gather, you just apply the glue underneath the fret and gently tap it back into place correct? Thanks!!

Re: Best glue to use for re-seating frets??

plain ol krazy glue will work. reseating frets can be tricky, tho. if you've not done it before, i'd take it in.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

What is tricky about it? I really want to do it myself because there are NO competant techs near me-northeastern Pennsylvania. So, unless you can recommend someone to me in my area, what other choice do I have?

Comment

Well, brass bends pretty easily, and if you don't seat it exactly as it was before, it may cause the frets above or below it to buzz or fret out. Then you'll
        have to dress all the frets to get them properly leveled. Know how to do that, and got the tools?
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by EnglJack:
          What is tricky about it? I really want to do it myself because there are NO competant techs near me-northeastern Pennsylvania. So, unless you can recommend someone to me in my area, what other choice do I have?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">keeping the krazy glue in one place is certainly one of those things. you also shouldn't use a regular hardware store hammer, they're a bit too hard for frets. you also have to be careful that you hit only the raised area, and also not make the other end pop up when the raised area goes in. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
          X