Seasonal Neck Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasonal Neck Syndrome

I lived in the midwest and humidity has come with a vengeance this year. I'm glad I own a few guitars because the weather effects them all differently.
    All winter I favored my bolt on neck, San Dimas looking sticker mutt. I also used my LP Studio. My Fusion Special is in pieces and my 650XL and I didn't get along all winter.
    Enter late spring -
    Now, the sticker guitar sucks royally. The natural neck always feels moist and clammy this time of year. It's buzzin' and pissin' me off. The 650XL has a new attitude and wants to be seen live at outdoor shows. It plays awesome. The LP is so-so.
    Anything you guys do to combat the change of seasons? Any tricks or magic potions to put in my cases?

Re: Seasonal Neck Syndrome

Besides running a dehumidifier in the summer, I haven't found anything that helps much. My KV2 seems to suffer the most from humidity changes -- I can't come up with any other explanation for the fret buzz on it.
    sigpic

Comment

I just thought add to this thread. I spent a couple hours playing a few of my guitars, to see how they were doing since the humidity started rising. Now, I guess what I was calling fret buzz before is more like string rattle -- it happens no matter what fret I play on, or which string, high or low action, truss rod tighter or looser. Anyway, I played my KV2, DR2, RR2 and Soloist Pro, and all of them are rattling like crazy. My dehumidifier is cranked, and the humidity in my apartment is holding at 60% for the past month. The KV2 and Soloist Pro fare worse under these conditions, but there's not much more I can do. I'm finally accepting that this is the price I pay for living in Minnesota. Six months of winter, five months of rain forest humidity (and bugs), and a couple weeks each for spring and fall. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
      sigpic

Comment

thank gawd for seasonal changes, i make my living sussing out guits! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X