Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top E closer to edge of fret than it should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top E closer to edge of fret than it should be?

On the DKMG (2006 Archtop) i just acquired i have noticed that the top E string is significantly closer to the edge of the fretboard than the bottom E is.
    Comparing this to my 92 Dinky AR, the Top and bottom strings are of equal distance to the edge of the fret board (as i would expect).

Is this an issue? The first thing i notice is the E slips off the bottom far more easily than the on the AR. It almost seems as if the neck needs to be be loosened and just edged slightly over (where the seems to be a small gap) in the neck joint.

The guitar is barely used and effectively new and my luthier will be setting it up and possibly levelling the frets down (as it's new) but i wanted to get some other oppinions on this as it isn't like that on my other Jackson.

Thanks.

PS: the DLMG is nice but f*ck me is my neck thin on the 92 Dinky AR...thinner than the DKMG - anyone know any new jacksons that have the thinnest necks?

Loosen the neck screws a little and shift the neck to where the distance is the same and retighten.Its as easy as that.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Or, if you can't slide the neck over enough, check the nut positioning.

Comment

Sorry, could i ask what you mean?
        Do you think the holes are in the wrong place?

Comment

Originally posted by Daywalker View Post
          It's a procedure commonly called a neck "re-set".

Comment

Originally posted by Daywalker View Post
            Do you think the holes are in the wrong place?
            You may have to enlarge the holes in the body a bit to allow for side
            adjustment. Many guitars have a bit of space there, for expansion/contraction allowance. A tight fit could cause cracking around the pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
              You may have to enlarge the holes in the body a bit to allow for side
              adjustment. Many guitars have a bit of space there, for expansion/contraction allowance. A tight fit could cause cracking around the pocket.

Enlarging the holes could potentially cause even more shifting.
              Cracking may be caused by the pocket itself being too tight, not the screws IMO.

If loosening the screws and repositioning the neck doesn't work, I would suggest plugging the existing holes with dowels and redrilling them correctly.

Comment

All it is. Is the neck shifted sightly in its pocket. No big deal. Just loosen the neck screws slightly and re-align the neck and righten the screws back down. DO NOT enlarge the screw holes. BTW the term neck reset is typically used for a set neck guitar and especaily acoustics. his is more of a realignment then anything else.
                Gil

Comment

How many threads are this already?
                  Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                    BTW the term neck reset is typically used for a set neck guitar and especaily acoustics. his is more of a realignment then anything else.
                    Gil
                    Yes, the correct technical term for this procedure when performed on a bolt-on neck guitar is a realignment.

Comment

I should have been more clear when I mentioned enlarging the holes
                      in the body. I have encountered many instances where the original screws
                      have been replaced with a slightly larger diameter screw to make up for
                      worn neck holes. Usually it's impractical to go back to the original screw, so
                      enlarging the holes is the second best option. You can tell if the screws are threaded in the body portion, thus too tight on those thru-holes.

Comment

How close are are you talking about? What guage strings? I just changed my nut on my tele and I set the High and Low "E" 1/16" from the edge.. and spaced the A, D a little further a part and the "G and B" closer together about .04". My Jackson "E" strings are 3/32" at the 1st fret.
                        2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                        2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                        2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                        2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                        2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                        2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                        2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                        2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                        2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                        1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                        1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Just do the procedure I discribed first that 99% of the time fixes the problem.
                          There is no harm taking the neck off of a guitar no mystery.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                            Just do the procedure I discribed first that 99% of the time fixes the problem.
                            There is no harm taking the neck off of a guitar no mystery.
                            No mystery at all and like cat said it should fix you issue.

Comment

I have this problem with my soloist, so I can't merely take the neck off...the side of the nut is flush with the neck on the high e side, and has a 3/64" length between the low E side of the nut and the neck. The nut screws in from the front, and I assume it would either require bastardising the nut (turn the holes into slots) or fucking with the neck, neither option of which really appeals to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X