Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings for B-tuning...

Hey,
    I'm looking for some advice. Here it goes.

I have a DXMG tuned to D with d'Addario EXL140 strings (.010 - .013 - .017 - .030 - .042 - .052) of which I like the feel and tension. I read the string gauge sticky and I guess that these gauges do somehow compare to a .011 set.

I want to tune to B to experiment and I wonder which strings are best used to replace my current set. I figured to go for a .013 set but I need some good ones. Now I know that it is a matter of opinion which are best but I would like to hear some.

Two options I have are the Ernie Ball EB2204 Medium stings and the d'Addario EXL110/7 (with the top string left out). These compare in price and availability here. Which should I get? I ask you because I have a trem and I want to get met setup right with the right strings in one take.

Thanks in advanks,
    Ize

Re: Strings for B-tuning...

I did this a little while ago (tuned to C# then dropped the low string to B) and I used 12s, now the guitar is tuned up a whole step from that (D with the low string at drop C) and to me they feel better suited for that-so for B I would recommend 13s. I use D'Addarios.

Comment

Go to www.webstrings.com or www.juststrings.com and "customize" your own set by purchasing individual strings of your desired gauge. You like the 10-52 in D, so go in regular intervals until you hit a similar "light top, heavy bottom" set for B tuning. 12-56 or 13-58 or even 13-62 (I think there's a 62) might suit you.

Comment

Originally posted by Izegrim:
        Hey,
        I'm looking for some advice. Here it goes.

I have a DXMG tuned to D with d'Addario EXL140 strings (.010 - .013 - .017 - .030 - .042 - .052) of which I like the feel and tension. I read the string gauge sticky and I guess that these gauges do somehow compare to a .011 set.

I want to tune to B to experiment and I wonder which strings are best used to replace my current set. I figured to go for a .013 set but I need some good ones. Now I know that it is a matter of opinion which are best but I would like to hear some.

Two options I have are the Ernie Ball EB2204 Medium stings and the d'Addario EXL110/7 (with the top string left out). These compare in price and availability here. Which should I get? I ask you because I have a trem and I want to get met setup right with the right strings in one take.

Thanks in advanks,
        Ize
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">damn I use that same set ( except it was ernie ball)for a Drop B tuning on a 24 5/8 BC Rich Warlock... I had a D'addario set 11-54 for regular B tuning on that same guitar and no tension problems, I use 009-054 on my 7 string which is a 25 1/2" guitar

Comment

I'd go 13, 17, 26, 36, 46, 56... just like the Ernie Ball 7-string set without the 10. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Jackson also uses a 13-56 set on their DK27 baritone (I think D'Addario).
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have two dr3s setup low, my first in c# with ernie ball 10-52 and my other in B and have tried 13-56 and 12-54. The 10-52's in c# are perfect, its just so goddamn easy to play. Which also makes going to B alot harder. I went to 12-54 so I could lead a bit easier but now the bottom two strings are very bitchy about staying in tune. I wish I could get 7string ernie balls locally

Comment

For unknown reasons I wouldn't go below 60 on the lowest string. I think 56 would be very floppy.

Comment

First of all: thanks for the replies! I guess I can go by anything and it shouldn't matter that much with what I'll restring it. By brand I mean. It is obvious that .013's are probably best but here comes Immortal who thinks that for unknown reasons the bottom cable shouldn't be under .060... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, I have a become suspicous for unknown reasons that he could be right... I like a very tight E and A (B and E) for pedaltones/speedpickpalmutes stuff BUT I'd like to have the strings in proper tensions too. So I figure that ehrm, what if I use a custum set 'light top, heavy bottom' from .013 to .058/.060/.062 etc. What I mean is can someone with some insight figure a logical custom set? I don't know how the different gauges compare in tension.

Forgive me my crappy english for I am having trouble making myself clear here. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I thought the 56 was fine for the low B when I had my Ibanez 7-string. It wasn't floppy, and I personally wouldn't go lower than that. I wouldn't worry about mixing and matching sets... experiment and see what works best for you.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

56 is good , i tried a 10-56 set on my 7 string and it was cool, just i don't like to put my necks under more stress than needed, so 54 or even 52 is good for me, hell i even tuned to B with a 49 and it was fine

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                      I thought the 56 was fine for the low B when I had my Ibanez 7-string. It wasn't floppy, and I personally wouldn't go lower than that. I wouldn't worry about mixing and matching sets... experiment and see what works best for you.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">True, it's the matter of taste.

Izegrim, don't get me wrong. Factory settings are always around 56, but I have strong fingers and picking hand, so sometimes my strings seem so light to me. It is good when bending, but when shredding I have to control myself, otherwise the tremolo raises and it tunes down at that moment.

[ June 17, 2004, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Immortal ]

Comment

I agree with Immortal's advice about a 60. I string my E-tuned guitars with 10-52s and my Bbs with 13-60s, and to me the 60's feel lighter in Bb than 52's in E. I do have a pretty meaty pick hand, and on a 24 3/4 scale the 60 feels too loose and goes out of tune without too much effort.

Comment

don't worry about the stress on the neck.

the strings will have as much tension because of the low tuning. plus a truss rod adjustment will be required. thats how all the down tuned bands do it. 12's or 13's. i'd use 13's for B, 12's for C, 11's for D, and 10's for E and Eb.

i wouldn't use 9's for anything. the more metal, the more tone.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yeah I think I got enough. I'll go by the GHS GB7M set which is .013-.060 (left the top string out). I put muscle in my picking too so I'll give the .060 a try. There isn't much choise out there when it comes to heavier strings, is it. All recommendations are welcome (particular brand/product) but I will get a new set tommorow. Now I hope that I can find them...

P.S.
                            O boy, will it be fun to set the whole thing up! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] FR, action, backbox, trussrod, cleaning etc. [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

[ June 17, 2004, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Izegrim ]

Comment

Well I have tuned the thing to B with a d'Addario EXL140, top E left out plus an extra .060 added. There was NO ALTERNATIVE with the local store here (sucks big time). It is great but... I should have known the tension is not the same since I was tuned to D with the same set. I am considering tuning to A with these 'cause that'll be about the same tension as before. Just to let y'all know.

Ize

Comment

Working...
                              X