Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stiff truss rod on a sl-1

hi,
    i bought a used sl-1 from 2006 3 days ago.
    i decided not to do a set up just to let it settle for a couple of days.
    yesterday i tryind to tighten the truss ross to flatten the neck a bit but it was really stiff.
    i have read on this forum to losen it a bit ( if stiff ) and then tighten it, but still it`s very stiff even when i try that.
    i`m really afraid and i don`t want to force it.
    another thing i noticed is that the allen key i need seems to be of a bigger size (the next one up compared to the one i use on my ke-2).
    do you people have any suggestions/advice to sort this problem?
    i never really came across a truss rod so stiff...

marco

There may be some clear coat or glue on the nut.Take a xacto knife and scrape around the truss rod nut.Don't force it
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

what i wonder is how could the guys at the jackson factory not check this.
      how can the let a guitar out of the factory without checking this?
      i mean the do a factory set up and they must have realised about this problem.
      i`ll try removing any glue or clear coat paint around the nut, hopefully it`s going to work.

Comment

If it turns out not to be paint overspray, another thing to try is to reduce the tension on the rod. Lessening the tension will make it easier to turn the nut. The force acting against the rod puts lateral force on the threads, which is the same principle that makes lock-washers work. Are you adjusting under string tension? Sometimes you need to loosen them, and once in a while I've actually needed to gently bend the neck in the direction of the adjustment to make it easier to get started.
        Last edited by dg; 09-02-2007, 09:56 AM.

Comment

to be honest, i haven`t loosened string tension,
          i just tried to loosen the rod to then, tighten it.
          i`ll try detuning first, but i can`t now because i haven`t got the guitar with me.
          i hope it`s not a temporary solution, as i don`t want to go through this procedure every time i need to adjust the neck.

dg: if i bend the neck in the direction of the adjustment don`t i risk to leave the neck warped?
          i mean, in the worst case scenario?

Comment

No, I'm talking about a really gentle, steady amount of force. It doesn't take much at all, and you probably won't even need to do it if you loosen the strings. Remember, necks bend all the time with no ill effects when you dive or pull up on the trem. But if you're uncomfortable doing it, that's understandable. In that case, having a tech do it may be the best answer.
            Last edited by dg; 09-02-2007, 10:30 AM.

Comment

My sl1 was in the same condition when I began tweaking it. I was scared also, took it to a tech, asked him what he thought. He tugged it and good to go, it was glue.

Mine was also brand new 2006. Probably glue bro.

Comment

My 87 had over spray and glue.It took some time chip it off just be careful.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X