Why does it buzz now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does it buzz now?

Long winded post, but please bear with me, I need help!

I recently took my Charvel CX-391 to a local guy I've been dealing with for some time. The guitar was fine apart from some buzzing on the 7th and 9th frets. I hadn't taken it to a pro since I bought it, so I figured I'd get him to give it the works. He does great work, in fact he used to do Randy Bachmann's guitars back in the day.

He set it up, dressed the frets, cleaned her up really good and she played like butter when I got her back. No buzz. He mentioned that he had to shim the neck a tiny bit, because the neck wasn't sitting in the pocket correctly.He said that partly corrected my buzz and the fret dress took care of the rest.

So after some time I broke the D string. I had just bought some extra packs like 2 weeks before so I got a new string (same guage, same brand) and replaced it. Now all of a sudden the buzz is back! only on the D string that I replaced and it's all up the neck! 2nd fret, 5th, 7th, 9th and 10th! WTF?

The saddle is fine, the nut is fine, and my eyes see the neck as being damn straight, so why the hell does the one string buzz? I took it off, popped another BRAND NEW one on and the same friggin thing!

Truss rod? I don't think so it was just done, but could it be? Like I said the neck looks fine. The frets look great, and I can't really see any other reason that the truss rod. Can they go out a touch when a string snaps? What could the problem be? Why am I typing so goddamn much?
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Maybe the string height is slightly low on the one trem saddle and it needs a shim.

Comment

Does it buzz open? Has the weather changed much? humid, now dry? Temp? Did you have it in the case for awhile? what bridge is on it?
      Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Axeweilder - it looks the same as the other saddles. They all appear to be sitting fine, and none of them are loose or anything.

ADR - no, it doesn't buzz open. Only on the 2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 10 frets. The weaher hasn't changed much and I keep my guitars in my bedroom right now as I'm still building my basement. The humidity is 45-50% in there and my other guitars are fine. It it always on a stand. It has a JT-580 Takeuchi on it.
        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

You only changed 1 string? Try changing them all.

Comment

In my opinion new strings allways have a tendency to buzz more than old ones...if you are on the limit with the relief and action you get that crispy buzzing sound for a couple of days.

Comment

Working...
            X