J90 pickup and pinch harmonics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J90 pickup and pinch harmonics

I have a Model 1 Charvel, legend neck, J-90 pup. It sounds crunchy but I just cannot produce pinch harmonics on the low E,A,D strings and the higher strings I can sometimes but a little weak.

My Jsx-94 Concept has the J-65 stock pup and I can get awesome pinch harmonics on that guitar as I can also with other guitars.

I understand that the J-90 is a higher output pup than the J-65. Any reason why I can't get the harmonics on the model 1? Could it be the wiring?
    I haven't taken the pup out since the guitar was built for me. Its a "great" guitar other than that.

Thanks, thought I'd throw it out there!

Re: J90 pickup and pinch harmonics

it could be that the J90 is alnico and the 65 is ceramic? I hear you get better harmonics with ceramic, but I dont know anything about the 65

Comment

I have a DR3 that had poor artificial harmonics. I had the active system pulled out to put in another guitar and in doing so, the volume pot was replaced and the original tone pot reinstalled. After that it screamed. Natural and artificial harmonics everywhere. Might be worth it to try a different volume pot. The volume pot that ended up in the DR3 was a stock volume from a 1988 Soloist.

Comment

I don't think the type of magnet in the pickup matters at all. I have no problems producing powerful pinch squeals with an EMG-85.

Comment

well duh, you dont get much hotter than an 85/81.

we're talking passive pups here

Comment

That guitar plays so damn nice but is just "dead" in spots. I'm not a tech or an expert on Jackson pickups so my good friend who built the guitar is going to check the wiring next time he's in town. I might just have to slap a Duncan in there. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa:
              well duh, you dont get much hotter than an 85/81.

we're talking passive pups here
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">"Well duh", there are plenty of passive Duncans and DiMarzios that are hotter than both the 81 and the 85. EMG's are in the medium-high output range. So there.
              [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Is the J-65 a rare pickup? I have heard of the J-50n, J-50b and J-50c; J-80 & J-80c; J-85 & J-85c; J-90 & J-90c and finally J-95 Wide bandwidth output. This was all from the Jackson electronics book in the 80's.

I'm sure there are newer models now but I still don't remremebr seeing that model in any 90's or 2000's Charvels or Jacksons.

Comment

When I first bought the guitar I posted the question here about the pickups and a couple of guys told me they came with J-65 hum and J-130 singles. I've also read reviews like Harmony central, etc. and other JSX owners had the J-65's in theirs. (I'm NO expert). I've never pulled them out of the guitar. It sounds great and can squeal out some great pinch harmonics. I don't use the singles much except clean. The reviews on my guitar are always very positive.

J-90's are supposed to be awesome so I don't get why I'm having this problem.

Comment

TRY A NEW SET OF STRINGS,CHECK IF ACTION IS TO LOW OR PICKUPS ARE TO CLOSE TO THE STRINGS?

Comment

Working...
                    X