sh-6 or l-500xl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sh-6 or l-500xl?

whats better for a good nasty rhythm tone? i heard the l-500xl produces more bass response if installed backwards...i like a thick tone, but not so bassy that its muddy. i'm kind of stuck, any opinions?
    Last edited by guitorture; 09-03-2007, 04:57 PM.

the 500XL producing more bass if backwards is a load of shit. 1st off get the real ones from bill & becky not from bill lawrence USA. personally Im more a fan of the 500-L, the XL can be too bright. i would also suggest checking out an X2N.

Comment

I have the original Bill Lawrence L500XL made in West Germany (how long ago was it that Germany had an east and west?), a 1995 RR1 loaded with Bill Lawrence USAs, and a Duncan Dimebag. I can't really tell a difference, and from what I'm told, Dimebag used the USA's.

I also have a couple of axes loaded with SH6's.

I like the way the rails sound with leads, and the SH6 with crunch. But that's me.

Comment

How about the DiMarzio D-Sonic? It has pole pieces on one side and a rail on the other, and can be flipped around depending on if you want more of a rhythm chunk or a cutting lead tone. I played one in an OLP Petrucci and it sounded good, although it was through someone else's rig and not quite how I would have dialed it in.
        sigpic

Comment

As mentioned, the Dimebucker is basically a rip-off of the 500XL, so I'll give you my impressions of the Dimebucker...it's harsh! It's incredibly articulate and great fun, but it can really grate on the high-end unless you dial it back a bit. Best for daft levels of gain, very difficult to mud out.

Comment

well i listened to some sound samples of the x2n and it seems to put out too much mids for my taste. i'll probably end up going with a BL. my guitar has an alder body, would the 500xl sound to bright?

Comment

Originally posted by guitorture View Post
              well i listened to some sound samples of the x2n and it seems to put out too much mids for my taste. i'll probably end up going with a BL. my guitar has an alder body, would the 500xl sound to bright?
              Too MUCH mids? Man, if someone asked me for advice on a pickup with a scooped sound, I'd mention two pickups: The EMG-81 and the X2N. That was the reason I stopped using my X2N; because I didn't get nearly enough mids out of it.

Comment

Working...
              X