Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another dreaded "suggest a pickup" thread -- JB vs. ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another dreaded "suggest a pickup" thread -- JB vs. ???

I've been holding off on replacing the bridge pickup (JB) on my KV2 for awhile, but the more I play it, the less I like the JB's sound in this particular guitar. In a basswood Dinky with a rosewood fretboard, the JB sounds fine, but no matter what amp I plug the KV2 into, it's just way too bright. I've been through the Seymour Duncan site, listening to comparisons, and of course the one pickup I really want to hear, they don't have a clip for: the Duncan Custom 5.

I'm happy with the Full Shred in ash, but it's not quite as good in alder in my opinion, and the Screamin' Demon is a little lacking in a bright wood for my tastes. Can anyone describe the Custom 5 (or is that Custom V?), comparing it to the JB if possible? The JB is too bright, and doesn't have much "chunk" on the low end. I need good string definition for solos, but without sacrificing a thick riffing tone.
    sigpic

Re: Another dreaded "suggest a pickup" thread -- JB vs. ???

i'm lousy at describing how pickups sound, but my ears prefer the custom to the custom 5.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The Custom is crunchier and ballsier sounding than a JB, and it also has really good clarity and string definition too. You'll be happy with one.

EDIT-I want to note that I'm talking about the Custom, not the Custom V, just to avoid confusion.

Comment

The Custom 5 (or V...I guess it's 5) has a kinda "scooped mid" sound to me. Great bottom, nice top but no mid clarity. The Custom Custom is the exact opposite, all mids, no top, no bottom. The JB is mid strong and lower mid strong, but not much top end.
        I'm suprised you find too much top end with the JB, but if so you may not like the Custom (which is my fav also).
        You may want to go up an Invader. High power pickups, all things being equal, have less top end. Tough call...expirementation is the rule, and ebay is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
          The JB is mid strong and lower mid strong, but not much top end.
          I'm suprised you find too much top end with the JB
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The JB has more treble and high mids and seems to be lacking low end. At least that's what I felt about the one I took out of my Hamer.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: Another dreaded &quot;suggest a pickup&quot; thread -- JB vs. ???

i had a full shred and i didn't like it.......... sounds too "twangy", at least in alder body.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

In basswood (and presumably mahogany) I really like the sound of the JB, and it seems nicely balanced, but I think the softer wood takes the edge off the high end. Don't get me wrong, I like a bright sound, but this is all bright, all the time, so to speak. I'm getting the impression that the whole Custom line might be pretty similar to the JB, but maybe someone else will chime in with an opinion on that.

The Invader never really crossed my mind, but getting to the more "extreme" end of the spectrum, what about the Dimebucker or the original Lawrence equivalent? And what about the Parallel Axis? I have a PA Tremstack in the neck of my Californian Elite, but have never tried the bridge version.
              sigpic

Comment

The custom 5 to me in basswood sounds very nice.As mentioned the mids are scooped a little not much tho'.I like a custom 5 in an ash bodied guitar as well.They are JB like in tone with a little more bottom end.I would use a tone control with this pickup so you have the option to "darken" the tone when needed.A DiMarzio Steve's Special has lots of bottom end, scooped mids and nice highs and adj pole pieces on both bobbins so there is more room to tweak.Also these sound good if you only have one vol control and no tone.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Dude, I'm telling you: Duncan Distortion, best metal riffing pickup ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Travis:
                    Dude, I'm telling you: Duncan Distortion, best metal riffing pickup ever!
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My brother put a Duncan Distortion in his neck-thru Charvel, and it sounds like a monster! I'm still curious about the Parallel Axis version. The concept behind the PA pickups seems good to me, but does anyone use them?
                    sigpic

Comment

I think Ken (WarriorX7) is a big fan of them...PM him or he might chime in.

Comment

Yes, Ken puts the PA Distortion Trembucker in all his guitars. He says it's the same thing as the regular Distortion, just with the parallel pole pieces.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

what about kent armstrong pickups? awesome pickups, and the ultradistortion's have to be the loudest passive mutha's ever±@£¢¤!!

and who else thought of taking 2 mini-hums and putting them together to form a "quad-bucker".... kent armstrong did this and they call it the "motherbucker" (: (: (: [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ..... 27.5Kohm HOLY FUCKING SHIT±%¤@£¢%¤¬$%!!!!
                          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

The PA Distortion has a higher DC resistance and a lower resonant peak than the base Distortion. But the regular spaced humbucker and the F-spaced trembucker are the same.

Comment

Which Dinky has basswood body? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X