Duncan 59s in the bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan 59s in the bridge?

Like I said in another thread, I'm pretty new to any kind of in depth guitar stuff (i've owned an Ibanez RG270 for the last 6 years or so), and I'm going to upgrade now. I'm planning on the RR5, but I have a questions about pickups.

Stock in the RR5 are two Duncan JBs. Listening to the samples on their site, I think that I would like a JB in the neck and a 59 in the bridge, but I've never once seen the combo done like this. Its always reversed.

So is there any reason why this is? Does my idea sound totally ludicrous?

Because the JB has a higher output and less PAF sounding? JB will have more crunch and combining a smooth and "pretty" bridge will sound funny...

But I havent had experience with either so how would I know....
    Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

You generally want a higher output pickup at the bridge than what you have in the neck, and the JB is definitely hotter than the '59.

Big string vibrations equal a stronger signal. The bridge pickup doesn't have that much string vibration to pick up, whereas the neck pickup will have plenty. Therefore the bridge pickup needs to be hotter if you want a balanced output from the pickups.

If you put a JB at the neck and a '59 at the bridge, you'd have a very high output from the neck pickup, and very weak output from the bridge position, and that may not be entirely ideal.

Comment

+1 to what Sunbane said. If you use a '59 in the bridge, I'd use a '59 or a Jazz in the neck. If you want the JB in the neck, you'll need to pair it up with something that's hotter or of equal power in the bridge.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          +1 to what Sunbane said. If you use a '59 in the bridge, I'd use a '59 or a Jazz in the neck. If you want the JB in the neck, you'll need to pair it up with something that's hotter or of equal power in the bridge.
          Like a Duncan Distortion or maybe an Invader.

Comment

Why not try out the JBs before you switch. Do you have the Powersound pickups in the Ibanez. If so the JBs are in that sound/output level but sound alot better.

Comment

I'm not sure what I have in the ibanez, just the junk stock ones they put in.

I went into GC today and played some more on the RR5 (it blew away a USA Gibson V I was looking at!). I really liked the JBs. I was just thinking that the '59 may have a little more crunch from listening to the sounds on Duncan's site, but I had no idea about matching the pickups with output and all that, so I'll stay very happy with the JBs.

Comment

The Gibson V would have sounded more like '59s.

What was it that made the RR5 blow away the V if I might ask? You didn't give any specifics.

Comment

It played a lot easier all over the neck, and the sound (especially clean) was, to my ears, much better. It sounded a lot more crisp and clear.

Comment

The difference between alder and mahogany and the bright JB and whatever the Gibson has...496R and 500T I presume
                    Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Working...
                    X