What other Options Than a Floyd Rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What other Options Than a Floyd Rose?

Is there any other options than a Locking tremelo? I like Wilkinsons ALOT But I see they wont fit on a Floyd post setup. Do they make any GOOD Tremelo's that will fit without any Major Mods?
    HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
    Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
    (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
    Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
    Boss TU-2
    2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
    1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
    1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

how about Schaller? But then it prety much is a Floyd. A kahler spider or A flyer maybe? Not sure about the trem post spacing tho as ive not had the chance to compare

Comment

Post spacing on Kahler Spyder and Kahler Steeler (Flyer is an original Kahler design, thus there are no posts) is the same as the Floyd. Spyder posts themselves are however unique and Floyd posts will not work with the Spyder. But why not just a get an OFR? Spyder and Steeler are both discontinued. I like the Ibanez Edge as well but I would still get an OFR if I were changing out trems on a non-Ibanez guitar.

Comment

If you're wanting to get rid of the whole trem/whammie idea all together, you can do what I did and open up the back of the guitar and tighten the spring all the way so the bridge becomes "fixed". Of course, you've then wasted any extra money you had to spend on a guitar with a floyd, and it isn't quite the same, but its as close as I could get without buying a new guitar

Comment

Block it with two blocks of wood.
          Works a charm and makes the body even heavier
          Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
            If you're wanting to get rid of the whole trem/whammie idea all together, you can do what I did and open up the back of the guitar and tighten the spring all the way so the bridge becomes "fixed". Of course, you've then wasted any extra money you had to spend on a guitar with a floyd, and it isn't quite the same, but its as close as I could get without buying a new guitar

Now that is a bad idea if I've ever heard one.

If you don't want the whammy business then you could get a tremel-no, that way you will still be able to do the dive bombs but change strings much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_dave View Post
              Now that is a bad idea if I've ever heard one.

If you don't want the whammy business then you could get a tremel-no, that way you will still be able to do the dive bombs but change strings much easier.
              +1. Blocking with wood also works, but not as well. As for locking tremolos, the only other option besides a Floyd or a Kahler is an maybe an Ibanez Edge trem, but I'm not sure about the spacing.

Comment

I'd never heard of blocking the trem before. I got the idea from Marc Seal (not sure if he's well known here), he did it on one of his strats or something. I did it about 5 years ago and its still doing fine. Blocking does seem like a better option, though.

Comment

What are you trying to do?
                  Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                    Post spacing on Kahler Spyder and Kahler Steeler (Flyer is an original Kahler design, thus there are no posts) is the same as the Floyd. Spyder posts themselves are however unique and Floyd posts will not work with the Spyder. But why not just a get an OFR? Spyder and Steeler are both discontinued. I like the Ibanez Edge as well but I would still get an OFR if I were changing out trems on a non-Ibanez guitar.
                    FYI, I was looking for a nut replacement for a Peavey Vandenberg and Kahler was able to sell one to me with a little twitch: because of the lawsuit they had with Floyd Rose, they're only allowed to sell it by pieces and it's waaayyyy overpriced (like 1 little screw = 1$ and so on). I guess you would probably will be able to get the Spyder this way, if you're willing to spend like 2x the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Do they make any GOOD Tremelo's that will fit without any Major Mods?
                      The SuperVee Tremolo is a direct replacement for a Fender Strat Tremolo. It got a good review in this month's issue of Guitar Player Magazine.

Comment

You could scrounge Ebay for a vintage single-locking OFR. The saddles lock but there are no fine tuners and no locking nut, and they work. Of course you'll need a non-stick nut and maybe some locking tuners.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by LastInLine View Post
                          The SuperVee Tremolo is a direct replacement for a Fender Strat Tremolo. It got a good review in this month's issue of Guitar Player Magazine.
                          Funny, I just got that issue in the mail today :ROTF: I am thinking about getting one down the road for my Strat w/ a vintage trem.

Comment

What I'd like to find is a "Vintage" type tremelo that would drop into a Floyd stud spacing.Wilkinsons wont fit, and I REALLY DONT want to redrill.
                            HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
                            Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
                            (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
                            Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
                            Boss TU-2
                            2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
                            1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
                            1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

Comment

Not sure if this helps, but i like the Wilkinson Trem on my Carvin..seems
                              to work as good as my OFR's

Comment

Working...
                              X