Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The EMG pickup swap dilemma (opinions needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The EMG pickup swap dilemma (opinions needed)

Here's what I would suggest. Get a black and a zebra Duncan Distortion for the Hamer. Then sell it to me. I can even hook you up with a set of EMG 89's I'm going to take out of my 750xl when I get some replacements. Eh? Eh? Eh? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: The EMG pickup swap dilemma (opinions needed)

Hehehe. No dice! [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] Though, you'll get first crack at it if I ever decide to sell. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Agree with NOTP
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah, I'm kinda leaning that way now, too. Though, I think the chrome pup would look great in the neck of the Gibson with the black for the bridge. Hmmm, unless I can get an ivory 85 for the bridge of the Hamer. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
          Hehehe. No dice! [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] Though, you'll get first crack at it if I ever decide to sell. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Fine, but I'm going to hold you to that. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] By the way, the wife says that the chrome looks classier. I would stay away from mixing and matching black/chrome. Pick one or the other. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] Come to think of it, chrome/nickel covered Duncan Distortions would look mighty fine on that Hamer (sitting in my house [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Comment

nothing prevents you from trying it out? i often find myself swapping pickups between guitars -)
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

The EMG pickup swap dilemma (opinions needed)

My Hamer's got the chrome 25th anniversary EMG 81 set, and I just got a ZW 81/85 set for my Les Paul. Been thinking of keeping the chrome 81s for the neck of both guitars and the black ones for the bridge. Should I have the two mixed like this or should I just keep the chrome in the Hamer and both black ones for the Gibson? I'm confused with what I want to do.

[ June 13, 2004, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]

Comment

You're obviously not looking from a tonal standpoint I know, because you're well-versed in your EMG tonal wants/needs. So, speaking from an aesthetic standpoint, I'd personally want to keep the chrome EMG-81s in the Hamer which BEAUTIFULLY matches the chrome hardware already on that guitar, and put the EMG-85b and EMG-81n into the Gibson since it goes very well with the black hardware already on that guitar.

If I got around to it, I'd also want to get a black bridge for that Gibson too. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I definitely plan on the 85 in the bridge of the Gibson with the 81 in the neck. Too bad the chrome set doesn't also come in an 85 or else I'd have the 85 in the bridge there, too. The Hamer came with Duncans originally, and the black pup looked cool in the bridge with the zebra in the neck, though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] http://members.aol.com/stratotone/hamerflame.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
                    well I'd ditch em both and put some Duncans in there, while your at put a Floyd on the both of them too [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

really...I'd keep the chromes paired in the same guitar, whatever one you choose
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you're putting a gold Floyd, remember to change all the other hardwares to matching gold too. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fong

Comment

Seems like many of you like the reversed Zakk's combo.

How is the 85 in the bridge position? Is it louder? I like the crisp of 81 on distortion and I use it only for the overridden parts. For clean I use mostly 85 in neck, which sounds nice, but 81 in the neck on clean channel is flat like hell.

Will I gain extra gain with swapping the pickups? I think 85 is muddier in comparison with 81, but the thing is that I love crispy and crunchy sound, not EH's Big Muff.

Comment

Well, I took the LP to a local shop today to have them wire up the ZW set, 85 bridge, 81 neck. I'll keep the chrome 81s in the Hamer. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I don't have my own soldering iron and I've never done my own wiring... guess I should learn to do that eventually. [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                        Anyway, I prefer the warmer sound of the 85 in the bridge and the brighter 81 in the neck; I just think it makes more sense to have a brighter pup in the neck. It's kinda like the old EVH thing where he started using one-pickup guitars (back before you could get different replacement pups for different sounds) because he would get a muddy sound in the neck after getting a nice sound for the bridge... when he would get a nicer and brighter sound for the neck, the bridge would then be too bright.

Comment

can't you get a, whats it called, 58 i think,in crome (what they based the 85 off of)

call emg and ask around.

i'd like to see you keep the crome on the Gib. anything will look ok on the hamer, but that gib just looks like its got much mojo, and should stay crome.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                            can't you get a, whats it called, 58 i think,in crome (what they based the 85 off of)

call emg and ask around.

i'd like to see you keep the crome on the Gib. anything will look ok on the hamer, but that gib just looks like its got much mojo, and should stay crome.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know they still make the 58 in the custom shop but not sure if it's offered in chrome. I've never heard of anything else other than the 25th anniversary 81 set being offered in chrome. I agree that the Gibby looks nice with the chrome, that's why I was thinking of putting the one chrome 81 in the neck, but I can always swap it out later if I want easily enough with the quick-disconnect cable. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Put the chrome 81s in the Gibson and leave the pickups out of the Hamer. I'll be glad to put some others in when I get it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X