Trem springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem springs

I bought a new set of 4 tremolo springs at eBay, for my model 2 Charvel with a JT-6. How many springs should I use and how I must arrange them? Is there a common use, like 3 in triangle form? Or, Is a taste of feeling?

Re: Trem springs

Sort of a matter of taste, yes. What tuning are you intending on putting the guitar into? What gauge of strings are you wanting to use? It will depend on those factors.

For example, a set of 9s or 10s tuned to standard typically use three trem springs arranged in a V pattern or all three springs parallel (outside, middle, outside). It's your choice. Take a look on www.eastonguitars.com for Kevin's Floyd setup videos because he makes an interesting point about going to higher string gauges and how to counteract the change by using an added trem spring on the bass side.

Comment

Thanks N.O.T.P. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, it's all a matter of taste, but I prefer 4 or 5, as I like the stiffer feel it has on the Floyd. If you like your trem to get the "flutter" type sound like Brad Gillis likes to do, then you're better off with 3 springs. I've seen people also use 2.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

People who come to mind that use only two are Steve Vai (I think), and the Children Of Bodom guys.

So Toe, you must be using super-heavy strings to counter the added trem springs (assuming you tune to standard on those guitars). Do you?

Comment

Well, at the moment, I don't have any guitars with Floyds, but when I did, I used 4 or 5 springs with 10-46 in either E or Eb. The Warrior I had tuned in D had 11-48 with 4 springs.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

> People who come to mind that use only two are Steve
              > Vai (I think), and the Children Of Bodom guys.

CoB tune in D, and Alexi uses 3 springs, one diagonal on the low side and 2 straight at the highs.

i use 2 springs in diagonal with d'addario .009-.042's.
              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
              X