Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the "P" stand for? (Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the "P" stand for? (Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings)

The yellow pack of strings called Beefy Slinky... take a look:

http://ernieball.com/products_strings_nickel.php

The string gauge is 11-15-22p-30-42-54. What does that "P" stand for? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Some of the other sets have a "W", which I'm guessing means "wound", but the D string is ALWAYS wound. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] D'Addario has some sets where the G string is wound and others where the G string is unwound. So, what does this "W" stand for? I'm new to Ernie Ball... I need the Beefy Slinky set since D'Addario doesn't offer a set like that in their own product line.

By the way, I'd be tuning to C on a 25.5" scale guitar, so would you recommend the Beefy Slinky (11-54) or the Not Even Slinky (12-56) set? I like light tops with heavy bottoms (ease of soloing with still a good full sound on the bottom strings for rhythm), like 9-46 hybrids tuned to E on 25.5" scale and 10-52 hybrids tuned to D on 25.5" scale. Thanks!

[ June 12, 2004, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Number Of The Priest ]

Re: What does the "P" stand for? (Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings)

P=Plain meaning not wound

Comment

P = plain. W = wound.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Oh. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Rather redundant system of labelling things on their website... for example, the Extra Slinky set is 8-11-14-22w-30-38, indicating that the D string is wound, and then the Power Slinky is 11-14-18p-28-38-48, indicating that the G string is plain... WTF? Same thing! D string wound, G string plain! [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

And then there's Regular Slinky which is 10-13-17-26-36-46, which we are to assume is another STANDARD set of D string wound and G string plain.

REDUNDANT! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
          Oh. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Rather redundant system of labelling things on their website... for example, the Extra Slinky set is 8-11-14-22w-30-38, indicating that the D string is wound, and then the Power Slinky is 11-14-18p-28-38-48, indicating that the G string is plain... WTF? Same thing! D string wound, G string plain! [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

And then there's Regular Slinky which is 10-13-17-26-36-46, which we are to assume is another STANDARD set of D string wound and G string plain.

REDUNDANT! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is because it is common to find wound 18s. In fact, wound G's were quite common until the mid 60's. When you accidentally buy a set of strings with a wound G, you'll be wishing they had put a 'w' or a 'p' on the wrapper.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Re: What does the &quot;P&quot; stand for? (Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings)

Holy crap, I owe you!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Answered my question perfectly. Ya truly DO learn something new every day! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I come from an acoustic guitar background so I'm accustomed to a wound G. Bending is NOT that fun. It just kinda rolls off your fingers. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Again, thanks for the info. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: What does the &quot;P&quot; stand for? (Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings)

Yeah, I used to use the D'Addario XL110 set... it was the regular 10-46; 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46. I switched a few times to the XL110W set which was a wound 18 for the G string. Supposedly, the wound third string is better for intonation and tuning than the plain G. Not many people like the feel of a wound third, though.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X