Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hotrails neck pup?

hi,
    i`ve just bought a sl-1, i`m still not sure if i like the classic stack neck pick up so i was thinking to upgrade to something else.
    i friend suggested me to install a seymour duncan hotrail in the neck to have something more powerfull but still clean enough.
    any experiences?
    could someone tell me how it would sound for clean tones and lead tones?

thanks

Originally posted by eiopago View Post
    hi,
    i`ve just bought a sl-1, i`m still not sure if i like the classic stack neck pick up so i was thinking to upgrade to something else.
    i friend suggested me to install a seymour duncan hotrail in the neck to have something more powerfull but still clean enough.
    any experiences?

thanks
    If u replace by Hot Rail, u will get a more high output tone .But I think that Classic stack is more balance in clean tone and lead tone,both are good.btw u can try little 59 in neck
    State of Emergency
    http://www.myspace.com/stateofemergencysoe
    Personal Myspace
    http://www.myspace.com/hansoe

Comment

try a cool rail, ive got one in a mod 6 its great.

Comment

I had a hot rails/cool rails/JB-Custom-Distortion (at one point or another). I found the HR too bassy, kinda dull almost. So I put the CR in there and I loved it and it hasn't left since. I don't use a middle pup so its empty.

But you can EQ your amp to taste, I play through a Dual Recto Solo Head so...they can get kinda boomy ya know? But I think a HR or CR is a good upgrade! I didn't dig the classic stacks either, I still kept em though.

Comment

yes, i`ve heard they are bassy and i heard it on the duncan`s website.
          i think with good eq settings on my amp i can get a good "round" tone still with some edgy highs for soloing.
          something similar to drove`s ( the other guitar in the new megadeth cd ).
          i really like that lead tone but i`d spicy it up with more highs.

Comment

Not a fan of the Hot Rails in the neck position. The clean tones suck, IMHO. It's a PU that's better suited to the bridge position, for getting hotter HSS-ish lead tones out of a 3 SC layout guitar.

I have a Cool Rails in the neck position of one of my Charvels and, like J2379 above, would recommend that instead. It has a real nice clean tone, but with a more humbucker-ish type quality to it. Definitely less SC-like that the Classic Stack. It gets a real nice distorted tone, too. So, IMHO, the Cool Rails has a real nice balance between clean and distorted, whereas the Hot Rails is (...wait for it...) too "hot" for the neck position.

Comment

I would recommend SD Cool Rails or Dimarzio Fast Track 1

Comment

I put a Pro Track on mine but I don't really use clean tones.

Comment

Originally posted by eiopago View Post
                  hi,
                  any experiences?

thanks
                  I was not happy about the classic stack pickups in my SL1 either. They were dull and without character. I replaced the neck pickup with a SD Lil '59 which I think is great for cleans and arpeggios. The Lil' 59 has a warm and full sound and lots of output to match the JB TB4 in the bridge.

Regards,
                  Mads

Comment

hmmm,
                    it seems that according to the most of you hotrail in the neck is not a "good" choice.
                    the cool rails seems to be.
                    thanks for the advise.

Comment

Depends on what you are using it for. If you want a more "PAF" sound in the neck position than the hot rail is a good choice. If you are looking for more of a clean sound than I'd look elsewhere. I have a JB/Classic Stack/Hot rail p/u config in my SL1 and a PC3 and love it. I use the middle position(Classic stack) for my cleans and the Hot rail in the neck for runs etc.
                      Good deals with:
                      Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

I've a hot rails in my neck position and I like it for lead stuff - its very hot though so it may not be what your looking for. It gives nice enough clean tones too but there are better sounding clean pickups available. I'd like to try the cool rails myself someday.

Comment

BTW i have a coil tap hooked for the cool rail & it sounds great tapped. I have a funny feeling the lil59 & the cool rail sounds very similar, ive not used a lil59 but a regular 59 is smoother & a little bassier than the cool rail.

Comment

I like a very clean neck pickup sound (using clean setting on amp) and the hot rails coil-tapped sounds great.

Comment

Ill support the SCR-1 Cool rail for neck.It will get very clean,yet can handle any classic rock,heavy stuff quite nicely. Nice definetion/tone as opposed to buckets of gain like the Hot rail.
                              Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Working...
                              X