Floyd Rose Stud - Insert vs Wood Screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Stud - Insert vs Wood Screw

It would appear to me that some new guitars (not Jackson) still use the wood screw studs that mount directly into the face of the guitar. I had thought that these were phased out long ago in favor of the stud inserts, presumably (on my part) because the inserts are better.

So what are the pros and cons of each? Should I be leary of purchasing a guitar that uses the wood screw studs?

Which manufacturers still use wood screws for Floyds? I can´t remember seeing something fresh from the shop with those for ages. But anyway, inserts are better over the long haul... normally they don´t come loose in the body, and if inserts develop play internally some teflon tape takes care of the problem. As for pros regarding wood screws I remember reading that someone argued that the wood screws have better transfer of string vibration to the body... but I think that is highly debatable.

Comment

Well, I suppose that I don't know for sure, but right now I'm thinking that MAYBE the ESP M-IIs are using the wood screws. Their posts certainly require a flathead screw driver and usually the posts with the inserts require allen wrenches. My local ESP shop doesn't carry any of the M-IIs, so I can't get a good look to see if there's an insert or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
        Which manufacturers still use wood screws for Floyds? I can´t remember seeing something fresh from the shop with those for ages.
        The new EVH replica. Not only does it use wood screw posts, but the locking nut also screws through the back of the neck. Ugggggg!!! Why go back to old, inferior technology?!?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          The new EVH replica. Not only does it use wood screw posts, but the locking nut also screws through the back of the neck. Ugggggg!!! Why go back to old, inferior technology?!?
          It's called the EVH replica for a reason. It's how EVH's guitar was.
          Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
          Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
          Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
            It's called the EVH replica for a reason. It's how EVH's guitar was.
            Yeah, I know. But it's an expensive POS replica of a guitar that was a POS to begin with. :ROTF:
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
              Well, I suppose that I don't know for sure, but right now I'm thinking that MAYBE the ESP M-IIs are using the wood screws. Their posts certainly require a flathead screw driver and usually the posts with the inserts require allen wrenches. My local ESP shop doesn't carry any of the M-IIs, so I can't get a good look to see if there's an insert or not.
              I remember ESP MII using the studs too, but with slotted heads instead of hex heads. Have not seen any new mass-production guitars using the wood screws in many years.

Comment

Yep, the wood screws are supposed to have better tone as Dave L has mentioned. That might work for blues or jazz, but not metal with high output pickups and high gain amps.

Comment

As someone who has not long bought a charvel with an added floyd i would say steer clear of floyds or similar using screws. Otherwise you'll end with an abortion like i posted here

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73760

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post

My dean cfh has flathead screws but they are the inserts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                      I remember ESP MII using the studs too, but with slotted heads instead of hex heads. Have not seen any new mass-production guitars using the wood screws in many years.
                      Originally posted by dangerous_dave View Post
                      My dean cfh has flathead screws but they are the inserts.
                      Thanks guys. I may have gotten myself bent out of shape over nothing. I really have myself sold on this particular guitar, but those studs were going to be a deal breaker for me.

Comment

Ahhh, don't let screws vs. inserts be a deal breaker. If the guitar appears sound, it will stay that way. Some of the nicest Jacksons ever made have the old screws and they are still rocking nearly 30 years later. I still use my Dimas Soloist and Rhoads with those screws and have never had a problem. And both of those guitars have the older through the neck nut, which is killer to me...
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Agreed with Charvel750. If the guitar is sound, don't let the stud vs. screws break the deal for you. I would still say studs are better, but I would not give up an otherwise nice guitar because it uses the screws.

Comment

I guess it would make sense that a screw in would have better tone due to less parts.
                            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                              I guess it would make sense that a screw in would have better tone due to less parts.
                              +1 and it's right into the wood for a solid contact. You aren't going metal to metal to wood.

I agree with charvel750, it's not a deal breaker.

First off, what type of wood is the body? Floyd studs really came about because of manufactures starting to use basswood for bodys in the late 80's/early 90's. This soft light wood gives easy. I don't know if you've seen the old Charvel's loaded with those huge bushings that they don't use anymore (overkill I guess), but the idea is with a large bushing, you spread the force of the springs and strings pulling the trem forward over a larger area of wood. This "spread out force" helped prevent the wood from splitting, or the old style wood screws from pulling forward in the soft wood (tuning nightmare).

If the screws are in a hard wood, I wouldn't worry. And if it does become a problem, plug and redrill for bushing.

Comment

Working...
                              X