Partial Re-fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial Re-fret

Is it possible to just refret say the first five frets? Do you need to remove binding?
    Ive just bought a guitar from ebay that is unplayable (unbeknown to me when I fucking bid for it [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] ) due to the fretboard lifting, extremely badly worn frets, and damage at the neck/body join. As it stands, $230 is a lot for a fucking paperweight [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

James

Re: Partial Re-fret

sorry to hear of your misfortune, but yeah, partial refrets are possible. sounds like you've got a fair amount of work ahead of you. refund possibility?

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

No, you don't have to remove the binding.

Comment

Why is the fretboard lifting? Did any moisture came between the neck and fb?

I'm just curious. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I couldnt tell you if moisture is involved, but what I can tell you is that you can get a Fender heavy gauge plectrum in between the fingerboard and the neck. The thing is, its got a great neck, and is light, and a reasonably good tone, and a nice top, but it needs a refret, and has damage to the neck/body join. The guys up for either a full refund and returning the guitar or a partial refund to fix the problems.
          Seeing as I paid £120 and £20 postage, and its gonna be £200+ to fix it, Im thinking a full refund is gonna be coming my way.
          First time Ive been burnt by Ebay.
          It sucks. Ive been jonesing after a cheap LP for about two months now and I found this one which had a hard case, and an unstained flamed maple top and it was from the 70's so it had that retro mojo... Waited three weeks from auction ending to getting the guitar (sorting out payment, cheque clearing, postal times etc). I got home from work on Friday, absoutely knackered and in a bad mood, to find my guitars landed. So I pretty exitedly opened it and jokingly made my buddy look first to make sure it wasnt in two pieces. I then got it out and picked it up and noticed the lifting fingerboard from the first to the third fret, then sighted along the neck from first the headstock, then the body end. As I was looking from the body end I saw the neck join damage and to be honest, I nearly smashed the damn thing.
          And Im being messed around by some lass at work. First shes flirting with me then shes cold as roadkill. I mean we have a bit of (complicated) history but christ...
          AAAARRRGGGGGHHHH!!! [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
          I could do with something good happening. Like finding a kitten in my basement or something [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

James

Comment

Thanks guys.
            I took it to a guitar shop today to let the guy (that I trust) to have a see at it.
            It needs a full refret, as most of the higher frets are hammered and sunken, and the lifted fretboard will need to me removed entirely to be bonded back on. The guy said it was gonna be at the very least, about £200 to fix it ($340). So basically Im gonna ask for a refund.
            Anyone sellng a Les Paul for cheapish?...

James

Comment

Hi guys! I think its about time to re-fret my 10year old PS4 performer. Since it'l be my first, i'm as clueless as Alicia Silverstone [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . Can i just buy any brands off the shelfs which fits my fretboard's specs? Those blind spots are pissing me off!!!

Thanx,
              Fitch

Comment

Working...
              X