Floyd Rose and you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose and you

Well i some how volenteered myself to do a Floyd Rose clinic at my store. I want to cover a brief history of how it got started and who was involved in its development. the differances between a floyd and a kahler. The purpose of the floyd etc.. And of course the differant models out there that it spawned. Plus a restring and a setup demo. Then have a Q/A for thepeople that show up if any. Do any of youhave ideas to what i can add to this to make it interesting. What i should leave out. Etc... Any ideas will be great and appreciated.
    Gil

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
    Do any of you have ideas to what i can add to this to make it interesting.
    Beer and chicks. :ROTF:
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

A demonstration of extreme whammy bar tricks once the guitar is set up would be awesome! And then all the people would see that the guitar stays in tune (use worn-in strings for this or else new strings will still stretch, LOL) after such abuse.

Perhaps cover the three different sustain block lengths on various guitars in the store as well... 32mm (recessed), 37mm (semi-recessed), and 42mm (non-recessed).

Comment

Explain a d-tuna and how it works and needs the trem to be blocked for dives only.

Comment

Yep...
          Explain the installation and setup of the floyd as well as installing the D tuna.
          These 3 areas, are what gets asked about most (installation and setup of the floyd, and installing d tuna) on various forums all over the internet.
          You would do well addressing these areas.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

how to block the trem in case you dont need it...

Spring claw and its screws

changing guage of strings... how to keep the floyd level with body
            Sam

Comment

When is this Gil? I might come out to check it out.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 10-12-2008, 10:23 PM.
                Just a guitar player...

Comment

Here's a tip: How to quickly change a string and get back in tune if you break one during a gig:

Before the gig: Leave the trem cavity uncovered. Keep the right Floyd bar around even if you don't use it. Carry strings with the ball end cut off -AND- carry a wire cutter. Carry the correct hex wrenches and a string winder. Carry a block of wood cut to the right thickness so that that when placed between the trem block and trem cavity wall (under the strings), it keeps the Floyd parallel to the body.

After you break a string: Dive the bar and place the block of wood between the trem block and the trem cavity wall (under the springs). Now all your unbroken strings must be (at least roughly) back in tune. Loosen the Floyd locking nut only for the string that's broken (and of course the one next to it). Install the new string. Tune. Hold down string at first fret. Stretch new string. Tune gain. Repeat this a few times until tuning becomes stable. Dive the Floyd and remove the block of wood. Check that all strings are still in tune. Use fine tuners on Floyd if necessary. Tighten locking nut.

This will work as long as the new string is the same gauge (and arguably the same brand and type) as the broken one.

One additional trick to speed up string change is to install locking tuners such as Schaller or Sperzel in addition (preferred) or instead of the locking nut. This will help wind the string faster.

Comment

This isn't the best but is a place to start. Paten dates kinda freak me out.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Rose
                    http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts6.htm
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

I never install new strings at a gig. Pull the broken string out of the saddle. Pull a couple of wraps off the tuning peg, and re-insert the broken string. Don deal and fairly fast. Of course this only works if the string breaks at the bridge. DUH!
                      Just one more guitar!

Comment

Yep, and if you have enough string to unwind on the tuner...............

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                          This will work as long as the new string is the same gauge (and arguably the same brand and type) as the broken one.
                          I experienced this on my SL1: I changed the string brand (with same gauge) and the floyd is no longer parallel to the top, while the guitar is in tune. I never had to adjust the floyd after string changes using the same brand of string.

Comment

When is this Gil? I might come out to check it out.
                            Me too.

Comment

It's going to be sept 25th at 7. at Villa Park.

Comment

Working...
                              X