It has begun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has begun!

I just picked up my Squier Strat sunburst yesterday, and despite minor scratches and finish mistakes (it fell down and been painted again in a small area) it's great. The action just makes me wanna cry and throw up at the same time, but it can be fixed in no time.

Okay, now is your turn to help me out of this.

I bid on one Hot Rails and one Duckbucker (I guess).
    This Duckbucker-like is auctioned here: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=3729765796

I've found it very amusing how Duckbucker is described by SD company and the author of this auction.

Okay, the Hot Rails goes to bridge, Duckbucker to the neck. For middle position I was thinking of getting one SSL1, which is a traditional pickup and the traditional model of the guitar needs something traditional on it.

Tell me, I've heard that Hot Rails can be divided into a single-coil by a switch. How do I do that? I don't have the HR yet.
    Every passive pickup has at least two wires - ground and signal. So, if the HR can be divided, this means it has two signal wires and one ground. By using only single-coil mode, I have to disconnect one signal wire.

But if there are two wires, that means I can divide it in two ways: 1st coil disconnected or 2nd coil disconnected.
    This is just what I think! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Okay, call me stupid, but I need some help here to make it right.

Re: It has begun!

i believe red & white tied together. black HOT, green & bare wire ground. the red & white get hooked to a switch so they can be grounded. when not grounded its a hum, when grounded its a tapped hum, for single coil like sound. thats hows its done but the colors may be different. thats coil tapping & its IMO the simplest way to do it & get good results. series/parallel isnt as drastic as a difference.

Comment

Humbuckers can be wired several ways. Like you said, minimum is one hot, and one ground. Minimum for coil split is 3 leads. Some humbuckers have 5 leads: one ground, and 2 leads for each coil so they can be wired in phase or out of phase.

So if you have 3 leads, then yes, you can wire it so that you have a choice of both coils, or either of the coils by itself. How you accomplish that, is entirely up to you, as you can do it many different ways.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Here's the actual piece I am biding on.
        http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEBI%3AIT&rd=1

I think, it has more than just two wires. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay, what about pots? The SD wiring diagram shows that all of the three pots have to be 250kOhms, even though I am installing hot rails, which is a humbucking single-coil.

Should that work? I have plenty of 500kOhms at home, but I don't want to waste money on buying 250kOhms if they're useless.

My configuration will be: Hot Rails in bridge, SSL1 in middle, Duckbucker in neck.

So?

Comment

Working...
          X