Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this worth it???

http://store.guitarfetish.com/acpicokimibo.html

I never saw anything like this before. I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried it. It looks interesting. I have always loved my guitars with EMG's in it and for this price, it might be worth giving it a try.
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

Wonder what it'd sound like on a EMG81?
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The result should be similar to the Jackson active circuits of late 80s and early 90s (such as the JE1200)............It will give you a low impedance output (which could reduce noise over long cable runs) and high output, but your pickup will still sound mostly like your pickup, not like an EMG81 or 85......I wonder how well they're built ..Maybe worth trying one!

Comment

8dB of gain, that's not a lot, is it?

From what I've seen, guitarfetish (and many other retailers) like to line their product descriptions with a couple spoonfuls of hype, and one or two sprinkles of BS.

If you're hoping this will make your pickups more EMG-like, I'd say you're hoping in vain. I wouldn't bother with this unless it was able to produce something in the order of 15-20dB of gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
          8dB of gain, that's not a lot, is it?

From what I've seen, guitarfetish (and many other retailers) like to line their product descriptions with a couple spoonfuls of hype, and one or two sprinkles of BS.

If you're hoping this will make your pickups more EMG-like, I'd say you're hoping in vain. I wouldn't bother with this unless it was able to produce something in the order of 15-20dB of gain.
          While I agree that this product would not make your pickup sound like an EMG, the impedance and gain benefits (if true) are still valid: 8 dB gain is 2.5 times the voltage. A high power passive pickup output is somewhere in the area of 400 ~ 500 mV. So your output will increase to 1 ~ 1.25V.........EMG 81 RMS output is 1.25V....So we are not that far away, and we are quite a bit better off than where we started from (400 ~ 500 mV).............
          Last edited by Mr Metal; 08-28-2007, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Buy a EMG PA2 .

Comment

Working...
            X