Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing neck bindings - which glue... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing neck bindings - which glue... ?

I have a KE3 neck to which i'm in the process of adding bindings. Frets are removed, ledges are carved, and i'm almost ready to glue the binding strips, but i just wanted some advice on which glue i should use and how to apply it. This is the one i got from luthiers merchantile --->

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpro...Binding+Cement

They told me i should glue about 5-6 inches at a time and tape them down for a few hours.

... any advice?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: Installing neck bindings - which glue... ?

Sully is definitely a guy you want to get up with, along with Jim Shine (if I've forgotten anybody, please forgive me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Sully recently resurected a Jackson Firebird and did an incredible job (hint, we want to see the finished product Sully [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

Comment

it's at the paint shop.

....which seems like the bermuda triangle as of late, but that's another issue.

anyway, as far as attaching binding goes, i use the stewmac glue with a lot of blue 3m tape. man, that stuff is the best. you should be careful if the binding is taller than the fretboard b/c you're going to be pulling the top edge of the binding in on an angle. one thing i did was glue a section on and then put a mill file on each side of the neck, and then clamp the area tight.

goin around the headstock is a bit tricky too, use a hair dryer to heat the binding up a little so that it will be a little more pliant.

there's some pix on sullyguitars.com in the repair section that may help. lemme know if you need anything; i like binding/fret work alot.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I have to agree with sully on the stew mac adhesive. I also am working on an interesting project that I just got done binding a fretboard and headstock. I used the medium viscosity instant adhesive found here:

Clear Instant Adhesive

Just be careful with it and follow the cautions and instructions for using it.

Dave->
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

wtf?? you put the bindings AFTER the frets, and re-do the fret ends by letting a piece of binding there????

I e-mailed Kevin Easton (see link above) about this, and here's what he said:

FRETS AFTER BINDING!!! Just cut the tangs to fit the slots. Don't ever take a gtr to that guy!!!
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

I use the stuff Stew Mac sells for vinyl and PVC bindings. I only use Duco Cement on celluloid bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by delt:
              wtf?? you put the bindings AFTER the frets, and re-do the fret ends by letting a piece of binding there????

I e-mailed Kevin Easton (see link above) about this, and here's what he said:

FRETS AFTER BINDING!!! Just cut the tangs to fit the slots. Don't ever take a gtr to that guy!!!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well, it depends on how you want it bound. if you want binding over frets, you put the frets in first, snip the fret edges short/flush with the fretboard edge, run a mill file down the binding channels to get a nice 90 degree angle and also get the fret edges completely flush with the fretboard edge. then yes, you bind the neck, then start filing and shaping the excess binding to form the binding over fret nibs. for this style of binding, i personally wouldn't bind it first, then hammer frets in for a few reasons.

....and before you tell me i have no idea what i'm talking about, i'll point out that the refret and rebinding job that is pictured on my site was partially done with mister easton himself (it pays to live close by!). so if i was doing something completely wrong and catastrophic, he woulda pointed it out. the "frets after binding" kev is talking about is when you do not have binding over frets.

sully
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

ha, cool..

i didnt say you dont know what you're talking about. i just hate that kind of setup with pieces of bindings pretending to be the fret-ends (and most guitarists/luthiers agree) ...and btw i bought that kelly neck from Kev, really cool guy (: (:

Comment

interesting that's your preference... crazy thing about preferences, i guess is that they're not all the same. to me, i prefer the binding over frets feel.

sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Most luthiers don't like the binding over the fret ends because it is difficult to work with. Though I hate refretting guitars with those nibs, I love the feel of guitars that have them.

Comment

that's kinda what i was thinking, but you were more diplomatic! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] preference is one thing, but imo, there's a reason why binding over frets is associated with high end guitars.

anyway, more importantly, if there's anything we can do to help with your binding job, give a shout; we're all here to learn and help where we can.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

&gt; to me, i prefer the binding over frets feel.

&gt; there's a reason why binding over frets is associated with high end guitars.

uh.. why? you just lose some valuable fret length, which is useful especially when doing vibrato on the 1st and 6th strings. + a few luthiers told me that you have more sustain the longer your frets are.. tho i can't see why the fret length would give you better sustain....

anyway, i find for someone who plays in a "classical" position, it's way better to have longer frets, because of the angle of your thumb & fingers relative to the neck.

Comment

I don't recall where I read it, but I once saw the binding over frets described as the lazy way of doing it. Reason being, once you install the fret and do the fretwork all you have to do after installing the binding is sand down the binding and knock the edge of the ends. With fret over binding you have to round over the ends of the frets.

I don't know, personally. I haven't had to do a binding over frets job. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But I prefer fret over binding. Especially the way I do fret ends. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I find binding over the fret ends looks much cleaner.To me its a lot eaiser to form the binding over the fret end than to hand round each fret end.Its all a hell of a lot of work either way.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

i had a couple of gibby with binding of the frets & i didnt like it. it seemed like i was always getting the high E to catch in the groove. plus i like having more fret area.

Comment

Working...
                              X