Recommend me a (passive) bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a (passive) bridge pickup

I have an EMG81 now (in my Jackson KE3), it sounds too thin, dead, messy, and cold for me. I'm looking for a pickup with more warmth (without muddiness), sustain, a bit less output than the EMG, nice harmonics, and being able to hear each string clearly. I've looked at some DiMarzios and Seymour Duncans, but I'm not sure which to go for. I play old school metal (Testament, old Ozzy, old Metallica, etc)

Thanks!
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

my favs are the dimarzio tone zone or the seymour duncan tb-14, very nice well rounded pick-ups

jon

Comment

I had an EMG-85 in the bridge of my old KE3 and it was perfect for what I was looking for in terms of incredible string clarity, warm fat tone with excellent low-mid chunk and harmonics flying easily off the fretboard. Since you're already on the EMG setup there, try simply changing the model before dismissing active pickups altogether.

As for a passive bridge pickup that matches the sound of my old KE3, the Seymour Duncan JB in my Les Paul currently gives me that tone. But there's a completely different wood and hardware combination going on to get the same tone...

Comment

Duncan Distortion

Comment

I know you said passive, but have you tried an EMG 85 or 89 in the bridge? If definitely looking for passives, what about Dimarzio Evolution, Super Distortion, or Steve's Special?

Comment

BareKnuckle Pickups: Miracle man, Nailbomb, Warpig
            worth EVERY penny
            You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

I've tried the EMG85 in the bridge before; it got a tiny bit better, but it's not my thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
                BareKnuckle Pickups: Miracle man, Nailbomb, Warpig
                worth EVERY penny
                +1 for the miracle man ive got one in les paul it rocks!
                Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Di Marzio Super Distortion and Duncan JB (SH4) are the one used in most of the 80's.

Comment

I like the Tonezone for a full sound and a Super III for a tight low treble metal sound.
                    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Super Distortion from Dimarzio!!!!
                      Jackson Randy Rhoads Pro 2015
                      Jackson "Phobia" King-V
                      BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth
                      SG Mutt "Swamp Thing"

BC Rich Warlock One Bass

Orange Micro Terror
                      Laney TF300
                      Randall 1X8

PERKELE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
                        Duncan Distortion
                        Sorry, the Duncan Distortion would destroy the EMG81 LOL!

But here is an issue. I have a real DD in my 750XL and it sounds badass. I also have a Duncan Designed Destortion (DDD) in my KE3/DK1. Not the same sound, but two totally different axes. Scale length, neck thru vs. bolt on, mahog vs. poplar, fretboard rosewood vs. ebony, floating trem vs. fixed bridge. Also, the DDD is trem spaced, the DD is regular spaced.

I'm not 100% sure I like the DDD in the KE3/DK1, so I might swap it with a trem spaced Custom Custom I just purchased.

Good luck!

And how the F' do you fit the battery in the KE3? Mine has NO SPACE. Passives only. Is yours a one volume control only?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Sorry, the Duncan Distortion would destroy the EMG81 LOL!

But here is an issue. I have a real DD in my 750XL and it sounds badass. I also have a Duncan Designed Destortion (DDD) in my KE3/DK1. Not the same sound, but two totally different axes. Scale length, neck thru vs. bolt on, mahog vs. poplar, fretboard rosewood vs. ebony, floating trem vs. fixed bridge. Also, the DDD is trem spaced, the DD is regular spaced.

I'm not 100% sure I like the DDD in the KE3/DK1, so I might swap it with a trem spaced Custom Custom I just purchased.

Good luck!

And how the F' do you fit the battery in the KE3? Mine has NO SPACE. Passives only. Is yours a one volume control only?
                          It has one volume, and I actually fit TWO 9 V batteries comfortably in there.

Comment

I think I'll check out the Duncan Distortion and DiMarzio Super Distortion. More suggestions are welcomed.

Comment

A DiMarzio X2N blows away the 81. A Super Distortion and Tone Zone are good choices as well.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X