Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Fretboard... Is this normal when...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Fretboard... Is this normal when...?

Never tried using anything special in the past to clean my fretboards but thought I'd try a Dunlop kit. It comes with a prep spray and then conditioner spray. So I applied the prep spray and started cleaning the fretboard on my DKMGTFF (which is a Rosewood board) and right away it is noticeably takingcolor/varnish off on the cloth.
    Is this normal? Kinda freaks me out, I'm really hesitant to use this stuff on my more expensive SL1's Ebony fretboard.
    There was a warning not to use on Maple, but I figured it would be safe on other wood.

Anyways thanx for any advice or words of wisdom in advance

Re: Cleaning Fretboard... Is this normal when...?

rosewood boards are often dyed to even out the streaks. you can order fretboard dye from stew mac.

Comment

it's fine; in all honesty, you're cleaning off a lot of general schmutz and grime. the main, if not only ingredient in the the 01 bottle is isopropyl alcohol.

while there is fretboard dye, etc, i don't think that they're dyeing rosewood in the overseas factory. imo, you're fine, you just had a funky fretboard.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

i've been cleaning my fretboards for quite a while now with a dunlop kit and i had the same as you in the beginning but just like Sully said; its just dirt

Comment

You dirty fuckers! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Do you mean that even though the rosewood keeps its original dark red colour?

Comment

hmmm ok well it's not that it's really super dirty, it's a pretty new guitar.
              I was just scared cuz there was a red-ish stain/tint showing up on the cloth. The fretboard looks fine and hasnt changed colors or anything, just wasnt sure if that was normal to see that sort of color come off with the cloth.

Thnx

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I suppose you play your guitar with white kid gloves. " Don't put your fingers in your mouth, Zeegy. You never know where they have been."
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

interesting that it's tinted, but yeah, you're okay. it takes a hell of a lot of cleaning/buffing a fretboard before the cloth is clean, so don't feel that i think you're a big dirty fucker. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] make sure to follow up with step 2 and you'll be fine.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by ZeNo:
                    i've been cleaning my fretboards for quite a while now with a dunlop kit and i had the same as you in the beginning but just like Sully said; its just dirt
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Same here.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, when there's no toilet paper around, how do you think I darken the board? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by zeegler:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, when there's no toilet paper around, how do you think I darken the board? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Doesn't it hurt when you insert the head? This is just gross!!!!

Comment

If the particular piece of rosewood on your guitar has a high level of natural oils you will find that color on your cloth. The oils in rosewood are pigmented, which is why rosewood with a high oil content is so dark and drier pieces appear so light.

Comment

You should make a video of your novel approach. You could call it: "This is Anal Tap."

Comment

Originally posted by fett:
                              Doesn't it hurt when you insert the head?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It only hurts if you don't remove the machine heads. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X