Split a Floyd saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split a Floyd saddle

I've ordered one of these, is this correct? can I simply use a Vernier caliper to measure the current saddle location and fit the new one, or do I have to do something a little more involved? It was only a couple of weeks back I paid to have this set up!

warmoth sells those saddles individually, you need to just tell them what string it is for as the saddles are at different hights, the two E's are the same, A and B are the same and D and G are the same but all a little different than each other.

jon

Comment

I assumed the shipping and wait on Warmoth would be a excessive...I've pulled a masterstroke and lost the string-locking block now, so having the whole shebang coming isn't necessarily a bad thing...

I'd just installed that Dimebucker too (again, getting Bill Lawrences to the UK seemed like a pain) and was really enjoying myself!
      Last edited by KMud; 08-25-2007, 07:45 PM.

Comment

my next question is "how the hell did that happen"

jon

Comment

I'm asking myself that, it's plain disappeared...I blame the missus, we're in the process of moving house and things keep moving

Comment

not how you lost the string block, but how the hell the saddle broke.

jon

Comment

overtightening the string lock screws ftw

Comment

there had to be a defect in the saddle to begin with, i don't think you could tighten the block that much, it would just crush. the OFR are made of temperd steel and have never seen that happen.......until now of course

jon

Comment

Hardened steel can be brittle. I've seen split blocks and saddles that have split down the middle, so I think this type of break is possible too.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                    Hardened steel can be brittle. I've seen split blocks and saddles that have split down the middle, so I think this type of break is possible too.

You are dead on, my friend. Hardened steel cracks rather than "mushing" (yes, that's the technical term lol!). This is nothing new, unfortunately...
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Not a defect at all... simple case of it being cranked down too hard one too many times.
                      The saddles are forged, not milled.
                      Number one rule with when locking down strings on a Floyd.
                      Finger tight and then a 1/4 to 1/2 turn with the Allen wrench.
                      -Rick

Comment

Another good thing I was taught was to use the allen wrench with the short end in your hand when tightening on a floyd. It makes it almost impossible to to overcrank, but tightens plenty so strings don't slip.

Comment

wow, i guess if he were using the titanium blocks he would really of had a problem.......

jon

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                            Another good thing I was taught was to use the allen wrench with the short end in your hand when tightening on a floyd. It makes it almost impossible to to overcrank, but tightens plenty so strings don't slip.
                            i learned this after stripping the threads off one of the allen screws on the nut. glad it wasnt the nut itself!

use the short end to tighten, and i guarantee you wont have to worry about overtightening!
                            My metal band Lucian Scott
                            Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                            Available Now!
                            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

This is only the 2nd set of strings I've put on this guitar (Kramer Pacer), I don't think I've overtorqued it sufficiently in those changes that it should've split the saddle, I'm going to blame the previous owner

For the record, I'd been playing for 30mins before it went bang!

edit: when I had it set up the tech reckoned the blades on the floyd were getting a bit blunt...now he's mostly an acoustic luthier, so I'm not sure if I trust that diagnosis, but does it sound like I should get a whole new floyd?
                              Last edited by KMud; 08-26-2007, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X