Strange finding with Art Series guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange finding with Art Series guitars

There has been alot of talk about the inconsistancies of the Charvel Art Series guitars in how they're setup and how they sound, so I wasn't too surprised when someone sent me their R/W/B Art Series guitar for a setup and a pickup swap.

What I was surprised to see was that the potentiometer used from the factory was a 250k. (?)
    The owner has a couple more of these guitars, so I shot him an email and asked him to check his other Art Series guitars ... yep, 250k!

Does anyone know why Charvel didn't use 500k potentiometers?
    Is there a reason behind this? Are their stock humbuckers in these guitars intentionally designed to be "bright" and a 250k pot was maybe intentionally used in an attempt to create a warmer sound? Or is the 250k pot a "Fender thing" and they simply don't use the 500k variety?

One of the complaints I had about this guitar was that it sounded "dead".
    I'm thinking instead of swapping out the pickup, maybe switching the pot to a 500k and see how that works.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Model1VH2; 08-25-2007, 01:55 PM.

As far as I know most Charvels and Jacksons use 500k pots. This may be an "Eddy" spec.........Did Eddy use 250k pots on his guitars?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
      As far as I know most Charvels and Jacksons use 500k pots. This may be an "Eddy" spec.........Did Eddy use 250k pots on his guitars?

Quite possible ...
      From what I've read, when Eddie first swapped out the single-coil pickup in his strat for a humbucker, he "forgot" how to wire back the tone control and selector, so it wouldn't surprise me if he never bothered changing out the original 250k pot.

Makes me wonder what's in the 25k replica.
      I know Seymour Duncan was involved in designing that pickup.
      Could there be a 250k pot in those as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
        .Did Eddy use 250k pots on his guitars?
        I don't know. But, I bet he used 250k buying pot.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
          Quite possible ...
          From what I've read, when Eddie first swapped out the single-coil pickup in his strat for a humbucker, he "forgot" how to wire back the tone control and selector, so it wouldn't surprise me if he never bothered changing out the original 250k pot.

Makes me wonder what's in the 25k replica.
          I know Seymour Duncan was involved in designing that pickup.
          Could there be a 250k pot in those as well?
          I'm guessing that's exactly what happened. I mean if he was modding a strat anyway, AND he lacked the knowledge to know how to hook the tone back up, you KNOW he didn't have the sense to swap the stock 250k for a 500.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
          X