Fret re-seating on a SL2H.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret re-seating on a SL2H.......

I noticed that some of my fret ends are coming up a little on my Sl2H. What tools would I need to fix this? My guitar has binding as well. Im thinking just some of the fret glue that Stewmac sells and one of those chisels made for reseating frets should do the trick right? Thanks!!!

Re: Fret re-seating on a SL2H.......

I've seen this on an SL1 of a client of mine. wierd. it's not like they are popping out. It's just enough to catch your fingernail. You are going to need to clamp it with something. I use fret culls on the fret side, a neck rest on the bottom and quick clamp. be careful with that glue! Make sure you tape off the fretboard. Crazy glue will work as well.
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Yeah, its just the fret ends, I can actually fit my fingernail underneath the gap on some of them. This causes my high-E to buzz a bit too. Should I just apply the glue, tap it in, and then use a clamp while it sets(I think 24hrs. is the set time)?

Comment

I would clamp itbut not too hard. Just before it clamps the fret back in. Then a drop of glue and tighten quickly! That should do it. Let us know how you make out

Comment

Thanks man! Also, are there any particular clamps that I should use that I could get at a hardware store or something without having to order them?

Comment

unless you're totally comfortable with fretwork, and keeping glue in one spot, and not messing up the binding, or the neck from clamping, i'd take this to get fixed. yeah, you can work the edges down, but i wouldn't have my first experience be on a usa soloist.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I agree with Sully on this,if you're not completely comfortable/confident,take it to a pro,wouldn't want to screw up a USA Jackson!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

this could also be potentially covered under warranty.... free fret job! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Warranty? Well, Im not the original owner of the guitar-got it used on Ebay. How long does Jackson cover its fretwork and things like that? I have to check the serial number on it to see what year it is. Also, there isn't a reputable tech or luthier in my area so I can't really take it somewhere-I live in northeastern Pennsylvania about 2 hrs. northwest of Philadelphia. Unless, one of you guys here know of someone in my area? Thanks!!!

Comment

rats...so much for the warranty. i was crossing a finger that you were the original owner.

sully
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Good point! I wouldn't it unless you had a little practice! IProbably should have told you that to begin with! If you don't alredy know of one, find a good tech in your area and have him give you a price.

[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X