Can spalted maple tops be painted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can spalted maple tops be painted?

I have only seen natural finishes on them... would love to see a burst archtop spalted maple top.

Never seen one either.
    I have a CS Warrior in the works which will be transparent black on a spalt maple top
    666 - Soulless to the core - 666
    www.myspace.com/gravespace
    www.grave.se

Comment

Somebody else will probably be able to give a better answer, but to my knowledge spalted wood is usually stabilized with something like a plastic resin so it can be worked with. Otherwise, it's got areas that are soft or crumbly and will fall apart, and some areas would soak up finish like a sponge and others wouldn't. I don't know if you could stain stabilized wood, but I don't see any reason some kind of transparent color couldn't be sprayed on.

Comment

From what I've heard, dg's got it mostly right. I've seen some transparent colors applied to SM, but have been told they were actually trans color-tinted clearcoats. So the wood itself was not stained, in the typical sense.

Comment

With the right process everything is paintable........You should check with a reputable guitar (or furniture for that matter) paint pro.....We may have a few on JCF!!!

Comment

Yes. Here an example from PRS. It's Danny Spitz guitar.

Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

That PRS looks awsome

Comment

I've seen them only in trans finished. I have a blue one that has some spalting
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                  X