Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active pickups vs. gain booster... ?

... so what do you guys think about it?

i figure i'd have the subtlety and tone of whatever dimarzio or seymour duncan passive pickup that i like, with the added benefit of a onboard or offboard gain stage before the preamp.

any advice?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: Active pickups vs. gain booster... ?

Well Im no expert on this matter...

But I think I would prefer the on board gain booster.. Tho I wouldnt care for the mini toggle.

EMG's have their pre amnp internal whereas say, Bartolini has theirs externaly with a PCB...

EMG, sells gain booster expander kits to drive the preamps in the pups as well...

If you want that extra boost and dont mind a mini toggle, Id say go for it.

Comment

i'd go for this one --->
      http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/PASFX

variable gain boost and i can use a push/pull pot for the gain control instead of adding a toggle switch.

of course if anyone has schematics for building such a gain booster, i'd be really happy to take a look at them... !
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

I picked up the EMG boost for myself . It has a toogle switch to turn on/off, plus, I can dial it the amount of boost that I want. I think it was about $30 for the part, plus they'll need to add a $10 balanced 1/4 plug.

joe...
        www.godwentpunk.com
        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

HEY... I just went GOLD!!!

goldie joe...
          www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

thanks for the advice. Is there any way to use a push-pull pot instead of the switch? and i guess you attach 2 of the wires to the pot for gain control... ?

Comment

The pull-pot would be used for coil splitting and does not have any gain boost to it. The mini-switch will toggle your gain boost on/off. I guess you could have the gain boost always active sitting inside the control cavity and hook it up to the pull section of your pull-pot so that when it is down -> no gain. Pull it up and active the gain section would then be in use. Sounds like a lot of work so there is probally some manufacturer out there that makes something in these lines, you'd think...

Good luck!

joe...
              www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

i will be installing the PA2 tomorrow after noon. . .i will tell you how it sounds when i hook it up and get it all strung up and what not.

Comment

cool!

does it consume battery when the switch is off? also does it affect the pickups tone (other than boosting it) ?

and can you put 2 of them in series for a 400dB boost [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

oh - i see in your sig that you have a engl PA ..... how does it sound? how does it compare to a peavey 5150?

i've always found that Alexi's engl sound has some similarities with a 5150.....

Comment

In all active boosts that I'm aware of, including the PA2, the battery life is only used your cable is hook-up to the guitar. I always unhook my guitar chord so I've never had a problem. Batteries typically last for me about 1 year.

You can dial in the amount of gain you want to add. Besides that, things remain the pretty close.

joe...
                      www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Working...
                      X